• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just about to buy a Moto Droid

Just grab the Droid. Droid 2 is rumored to be towards the bottom of the lineup for upcoming Moto's. But it's still at least several months away. Stock, the Droid is functional, but bland. But rooted, it's as fast as it's competition, and has most of the features. Display (and overall phone actually) is sturdier than anything from HTC right now. There will always be something newer and cooler just a couple months around the corner. If u wait for the best, you will never be ready to buy. As far as tried and true, Moto Droid is just sick with root and some reading.

Upvote 0
Came up for new every two on the 12th, been trying to decide between the current options droid vs incredible, or wait for droid2 & shadow, this morning read this and had a droid in hand by noon,

Motorola Shadow and Motorola Droid 2 Coming to Verizon Wireless

They claim Shadow will be out next month and Droid2 next Nov or so. no idea how accurate those predictions are.

I agonized for a while about getting last years tech but for the needs I have the Droid was the right choice, my first smart phone and I am tickeled with it, except for the battery witch is suppose to improve with time, I blew through the initial charge in a little over an hour and just now got it to %100 charge.

Upvote 0
lol Battery will improve with root. So will overall performance, thanks to undervolted, overclocked kernels, and some good system tweeks cooked into all the newest roms. And getting the new toy syndrome outta your system helps alot too. That big display drinks fast when you are constantly touching it.

Upvote 0
Ha, right now I have a freakin' GoPhone .... so waiting is not much of a option at this point. :p Gonna place the order online this morning.

That's your best bet. The Moto mole over at Howard forums (who has a pretty good track record with dropping controlled leaks) has consistently said that Shadow will be out late June/early July and Droid 2 can be expected mid-late fall.

Also, Droid2 will just be an incremental product update to the current Droid form factor. And Shadow will have a larger screen with no keyboard (as has been mentioned).

FWIW, after waiting for an Incredible I decided to just BOGO a couple of Droids for husband and I. We love them and I'm sooo glad I didn't wait for the Incredible. I don't find the keyboard as bad as some others do and the husband can't live without it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones