• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just as a phone

Nonevero

Lurker
Dec 27, 2020
I was given a redundant (to a relative) Samsung which is, sadly, "powered by Android." I don't use it for the internet, for any apps or for soso-media (never having had a brain-ectomy). Although I have the internet turned off in settings, it still asks from time time if I want to allow s-planner or some other abomination. You might say, I can just say no. I do. However, if you go to a restaurant and order the filet mignon and they ask if you want a turd with that, you can just say no there too, but you have a right to consider if there are any other restaurants where they don't ask that. From time to time I see people ask about the possibiltiy of deleting either Android or some other OS. My impression there is that the unstated assumption is: with a view to installing an alternative OS. Can I just not have an OS? I only want to use this phone to make and receive calls and sms; no apps, no internet. If it isn't possible on an ex-Android phone, are there any known alternatives. My previous, a Nokia, did have the option of the internet - not availed of by me - but didn't, as far as I know, require an Apple or Android OS. I only had to discard it because they turned off 3G. Is there anything of at least 4G, but without requiring any predatory OS?

Is there anything of at least 4G, but without requiring any predatory OS?
The short answer to this is no. There needs to be some base operating system that enables the various components of the device to make and receive phone calls. Android and iOS do this and a LOT more, which seems the distinction you are looking for. You cannot have and Android phone without Android or an iPhone without iOS and still make phone calls.

As far as limiting internet, that is becoming far less of an option as technology evolves. Many of the newer cell phone technologies now use VOIP, which stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, which by its name, means it needs Internet. If it's "internet" little "i" you are looking to eliminate such as social media apps, web browsing, etc. and not "Internet" capital "I" meaning the underlying communication network its possible you could be happy with a minimalist phone, though even those will have some apps on them.

Upvote 0
Well, there are KaiOS devices, which are basically feature phones with some internet capabilities (think there are models with 4G). KaiOS is based on the discontinued Firefox OS and is pretty simple. Note that KaiOS devices don't have touchscreens, but physical keyboards.
The Nokia phones with KaiOS are 4G capable and way cheaper than Android/iOS phones.
These might be what you want. https://9to5google.com/2020/11/13/nokia-kaios-6300-8000/
Thanks, I was trying to find examples, but when I searched flip phones I'm just got a million links to the Z-Fold and Razr. :goofydroid:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
what about jitterbug?
Lively by Jitterbug

Yep, you need to look at a feature phone that can make calls, texts and take photos/videos (and store them on a microSD card). If you don't want the smart features of a smartphone, there's zero sense in paying for it. Many carriers will give you a feature phone for a service contract of a year or so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones