• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just bought a 32gb Nexus 5, have a few questions

I have a ton of CD's I would like to put on google play, what is the best way to go about this

If you have them already on your computer, you can do this using the google play music manager: https://play.google.com/about/music/unlock/

If you don't, it might be easiest to copy all the CDs to your computer then do the above to get them on there. That's how I did mine at least.

Upvote 0
I don't use either screen protectors or a case. Haven't since my Palm TX. That would be a TX, a Nokia 5800, a Nexus One, A Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5, all naked and unbroken. ;)

Same here, and then of all things...., I was golfing, my N4 in my pants pocket, my buddy chipping up to the green, me not paying attention, his golf ball (not going very fast - it was just a chip) hits my pocket and shatters the back of my phone. :) Crazy!!

That was a few months ago. It's like safety glass - broken but still in place, and the phone still works fine. I was waiting for the N6 to replace it, but now waiting for N5 to come back in stock on the Play Store.

Upvote 0
Same here, and then of all things...., I was golfing, my N4 in my pants pocket, my buddy chipping up to the green, me not paying attention, his golf ball (not going very fast - it was just a chip) hits my pocket and shatters the back of my phone. :) Crazy!!

That was a few months ago. It's like safety glass - broken but still in place, and the phone still works fine. I was waiting for the N6 to replace it, but now waiting for N5 to come back in stock on the Play Store.

Yup, can always happen, but I figure at this point I'm well amortized to absorb the cost when it does. ;)

Congrats on the new N5. :D

Upvote 0
Not a fan of iTunes, nor any other MP3 seller ecosystem. I liked Napster back in the day when it was free and I could troll around for poor quality singles and other oddities over my dial-up connection.

These days I'll only rip my own MP3s from CDs on the highest audio settings. Of course most music producers these days seem to prefer arbitrary loudness over dynamic range and clarity, but that's neither here nor there.

Long story short, just rip them to a folder for that band/artist and have those in an MP3 folder, or whatever, and choose to sync that folder to your Google Play Music account. If you're using WMP to rip the CDs, you can get the album art and titles locally first that way.

As for phones, I prefer the Nexus 5 over the Nexus 6, and recently got another Nexus 5. Cost had nothing to do with it.

Here are some threads of mine you might find useful:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-5-al...-5-easy-rooting-guide-using-cf-auto-root.html

http://androidforums.com/nexus-5/82...useful-apps-nexus-5-rooting-not-required.html

I also really like the Mathlab Graphing Calculator PRO app. It's one of those apps that's well worth the asking price, if you have a need for an advanced calculator.

Then there's also AdAway (if you're rooted), and the Firefox mobile browser (which I've been using forever on my desktop, though relatively recently had to download the Classic Theme Restorer add-on for it when they messed up the UI to be more contemporary, but recently switched to over Chrome on Android) with Adblock Plus and Desktop by Default add-ons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones