• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just bought G3,T-Mobile.. Is it Qi or Powermat

This will be my first wireless device, and I see some are Qi and some Powermat.. They are different correct and different wavelenths?

I See that LG has a case for the G3 one for Qi and one for Powermat.....

Im confused.. Also my wife has a S4 and want to make it wireless. so if the Qi and powermat are different and I need to pick , I need to pick one for both.

Hrethgir is correct, renegad3 almost correct.

None of the US variants have wireless charging out of the box. AT&T is compatible with Powermat, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile compatible with Qi. But you'll need aftermarket help to actually use a wireless charger.

Option 1: Buy a wireless quick circle cover for your device (Not all quick circle covers include wireless charging, so be sure of what you're getting).

Option 2: Buy a replacement back with wireless charging built in. There are lots of them with Qi coils available on Amazon and eBay. Not sure if there are PowerMat compatible backs out there or not. You'll probably see Qi backs that say they work with AT&T G3s. Don't believe them, because they don't.

Option 3: Buy a replacement sticker that includes Qi and NFC coils, and replace the NFC sticker that's already installed in your phone. I bought this one, and it works fine:

LG G3 VS985 LS990 D851 Qi Wireless Charging NFC Antenna Sticker Replacement | eBay

You'll need to pull / peel / scrape the old sticker out the back before installing this one.

Reactions: Mr. Link
Upvote 0
Hrethgir is correct, renegad3 almost correct.

None of the US variants have wireless charging out of the box. AT&T is compatible with Powermat, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile compatible with Qi. But you'll need aftermarket help to actually use a wireless charger.

Option 1: Buy a wireless quick circle cover for your device (Not all quick circle covers include wireless charging, so be sure of what you're getting).

Option 2: Buy a replacement back with wireless charging built in. There are lots of them with Qi coils available on Amazon and eBay. Not sure if there are PowerMat compatible backs out there or not. You'll probably see Qi backs that say they work with AT&T G3s. Don't believe them, because they don't.

Option 3: Buy a replacement sticker that includes Qi and NFC coils, and replace the NFC sticker that's already installed in your phone. I bought this one, and it works fine:

LG G3 VS985 LS990 D851 Qi Wireless Charging NFC Antenna Sticker Replacement | eBay

You'll need to pull / peel / scrape the old sticker out the back before installing this one.
Will this allow you to use Qi on att?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones