1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Just changed my data plan.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by UserName872, Feb 20, 2011.

1. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Network Administrator
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just got off the phone with ATT and changed from my iPhone data plan to a personal smartphone unlimited for HSPA+ devices. Perhaps its the placebo effect but I feel like data is much faster. The phandroid app is like lightening compared to earlier. I'm gonna have to run some speed tests to see if it really is different or just in my head. I love this device more and more every minute. Don't know how I've had an iPhone for so long.

Advertisement

2. proframer92

proframer92 Member
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    i also will have to change from the iphone plan. post a few speed tests when you can.

3. LittleAnt

LittleAnt Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Aerospace Engineer
    Los Angeles, CA
    oooohh... I don't know if that was such a good idea. The guy i talked to at the AT&T store told me the following:
    As of about 6 months ago, AT&T did away COMPLETELY with their Unlimited data plans.
    For new customers, or customers signing up for data for the first time, you have the following choices:
    200MB a month = $15 (maybe it was $10)
    2GB a month = $25

THAT"S it. NO OTHER options.

There is one caveat: If you have an exisiting unlimited data plan from AT&T and are switching (ie, iPhone), you may KEEP that data plan with no changes to it.

That is the scoop. I'm quite sure that there's no difference in data quality. It only affects billing.

4. UserName872

None

Nov 4, 2009
    Network Administrator
    Philadelphia, PA

As long as you don't remove your data plan at any time your unlimited data is grandfathered or "gold listed" as ATT calls it. I still have an unlimited data plan it is just listed as a generic personal data plan unlimited for HSPA+ devices instead of an unlimited iPhone or blackberry data plan.

5. socalbeast

socalbeast Lurker
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    if you keep calling in and asking for manegers they will give you your unlimited data back

6. supabill

supabill Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    I just tried to change mine, the csr didnt know what I was talking about, 25 minutes later she came back and said she wanted to change my IMEI in order to make the change to the data plan....

I told her I would just go to the local store instead, does that seem necessary to anyone? Should I just call back and try and get another rep?

7. UserName872

None

Nov 4, 2009
    Network Administrator
    Philadelphia, PA

If you are changing devices, they need your new IMEI so that they can associate the correct unlimited data plan.

8. supabill

supabill Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    So she didn't mean change my IMEI, but associate my new phones IMEI with my account?

9. awillhide

awillhide Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    I acually got my inspire yesterday at Best Buy (Love it by the way). The guy setting up my phone told me that a few people that he had been setting phones up with had removed unlimited data from their plan by accident so when they got a new phone they had to go with the other plans. He said that he called AT&T for one customer and told AT&T to add a source code to their plans and it changed their plans back to unlimited data. Not sure if thats even possible but he seemed ligit.

10. UserName872

None

Nov 4, 2009
    Network Administrator
    Philadelphia, PA

Exactly. If you call them back up and say you got a new device and need your unlimited data transferred to your new device they will ask for the new device IMEI. Make sure they don't accidentally change anything else. When they adjusted my data plan the accidentally removed my voicemail all together.

11. coolroyboy2

coolroyboy2 Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    That also happened to me. Best buy removed my data plan,unlimited, and voice mail. I called ATT and was told I did not have any data plan. Took a couple of calls to get all working again. I have the unlimited back. Best buy seems to be making many mistakes lately.

12. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Call cancellations like my signature says. They will fix any problem toy ever have without question.