• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Downloaded FROYO 2.2 via Kies Mini

Luke-

Do you mind if I ask why? Now that you have updated to full Release 2.2, did you find the latest Cognition to be faster still?

I've read about many differences between the cooked ROMs and Eclair, but since I just got Froyo- I have nothing else to base it agaisnt.

Thx
Chris
Welp, I can safely say that I'm going back to Cognition...

Upvote 0
Just as a followup-

Mine installation of Kies seemed to hang when it was grabbing Windows Media Format- then it would crash. I d/l'ed the runtime of WMF 11 myself and installed, re-booted and re-started install of Kies again- and it took.
Upgrade went fine- never lost anything. I haven't played with phone since- but I'll fire up GPS and see how that does when I leave work(momentarily!!!).

Chris
I am not even getting that lukewarm feeling!!! Tried installing Kies Mini from the Samsung Capivate support. I am installing on WinXP 32 bit, and gets partially into "Installing Windows Media Format 11" and then crashes.

Any Ideas???

Thank you all
Chris

Upvote 0
What are the apps that I've been missing out on that are Froyo-only? My download is in progress now :)

Well, a few have already been mentioned.

1) Flash support in the browser
2) Gmail, Youtube, Google Search, Voice Search are now on the market and are updatable.
3) Adobe Air supported applications

That's just to name a few. Once you are back up and running, go to the Market. You will see apps and games that you couldn't see running 2.1

Reactions: braj
Upvote 0
Luke-

Do you mind if I ask why? Now that you have updated to full Release 2.2, did you find the latest Cognition to be faster still?

I've read about many differences between the cooked ROMs and Eclair, but since I just got Froyo- I have nothing else to base it agaisnt.

Thx
Chris

These are the main reasons I went back to Cognition:

1. Cognition 4 (just released) is built on top of the official Froyo source (not the leak)
  2. Cognition takes care of rooting/enabling sideloading (z4root wasn't working for me on official Froyo)
  3. Mobile AP/Tethering works without a tethering plan
  4. It is de-odexed, meaning theming is easier (and I can install my favorite super circle battery mod)

Not to mention that all of the bloatware has been removed.

Reactions: reidcc
Upvote 0
So how necessary in Froyo is it to remove ATT apps, does it need his to reduce memory usage? My underst6anding was that the process manager was improved. Just wondering if this stock Froyo will be good out of the box. I don't have much experience or desire for tinkering in Android. Anyhow my phone is rebooting now :) How exciting!

Upvote 0
Just finished updating. It took a long time--about an hour. My phone, too, was stuck on the S logo for about 5 minutes, but then it rebooted and is working fine now...now to update my wife's phone...fingers crossed. This a great forum. I am a complete nontech guy and have learned a lot here. Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0
Loving the new features... bout time.

Anyway, does anyone have an icon in the app drawer of an arrow with a "click" action and the text says "This file is read-only"? When I click it, it is QuickOffice. Anyone else's QuickOffice like this? Would I need to uninstall and reinstall QuickOffice? Thanks guys.

Mine has the generic icon and says com.qo.android. Looks like the shortcut is broken.

Upvote 0
That is exactly what the instructions say to do.....

While the computer is restarting, we will need to configure the phone so that Kies Mini can talk to it. Follow the steps below:
  1. On the phone, USB Debugging should be enabled. To do this, go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Tap Ok to the message.
  2. Plug the cable into the phone and then into the computer. The computer should detect new hardware and install automatically. It will do this for several devices and may take a few moments.
  3. Unplug the cable from the phone and power off the device. Hold down both the volume up & down keys while inserting the data cable. The phone will enter a Downloading mode. The computer will then install the rest of the driver files. If there is a problem with Windows finding the driver, let it search online to grab them. Once the computer has finished, unplug the device from the computer, remove the cover, remove the battery, insert the battery, and place the cover back on. Lastly, power on the device.
  4. Restart the computer.

Thanks. Has anybody actually done step 3 (holding the volume keys while plugging in thephone)? I didn't do that and Kies sees my device fine. I guess I'll try to update when I get home from the office. Meantime has anybody had success updating on a windows 7 64 bit machine? It says the computer has to be 32 bit..

Upvote 0
Scary. Initial attempt failed. Phone frozen, would not boot, would not respond, would not do anything except give connection error icon on screen. Replacing battery did nothing. First 3 attempts at "Emergency Recovery" instructions got no results. I was googling "Samsung Service Center" when my 4th try worked and update installed.

Phone works great now. Noticably smoother and faster. GPS is crazy fast, getting lock indoors in about 5 seconds. My GPS was pretty much non-functional out of the box, though it became somewhat usable after Samsung GPS-Restore was released, so if you're having GPS problems then this may finally be your day.

I did not lose any data or apps. The only thing that did not persist were my screen icon and widget setups.

So all's well that ends well, but that was a little more excitement than I would have preferred.

My phone was stock. My computer is Vista 32 bit.

I did not follow step 3 of the instructions:

Unplug the cable from the phone and power off the device. Hold down both the volume up & down keys while inserting the data cable. The phone will enter a Downloading mode. The computer will then install the rest of the driver files. If there is a problem with Windows finding the driver, let it search online to grab them. Once the computer has finished, unplug the device from the computer, remove the cover, remove the battery, insert the battery, and place the cover back on. Lastly, power on the device.

I didn't think I needed it because drivers were already installed and recognizing my phone fine, and I was using Kies for file transfers. Not sure if that omission caused my near-bricking, but based on my experience I recommend you follow the instructions to the letter.

Upvote 0
Updated.
Required me to get my hands dirty by touching a Windows PC. (Linux guy here.)

I followed the directions precisely, even if I thought they were doing steps I could skip.

Took about 18 minutes. A lot of that was while phone rebooted to eventually show the new home screen with all of my widgets missing.

All applications and data are present.

Re-added widgets, shortcuts, new Folders! Folders mean I no longer need the Launcher Dock application.

Wow, it's like getting a new phone. :) Been playing with it for the last hour nonstop.

Upvote 0
I read thru everything.
1. Tried it with connection kies in application setting. My phone said connected but Kies on PC "please connect your mobile phone"
2. Tried restart PC, USB debug mode then unplug with download mode. PC install driver but Kies still "please connect your mobile device"
I did them both. Little help please

Running window 7 32bit and my phone was rooted running 2.2 leak

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue as a couple of you. I followed the step by step on one of the "how to install froyo 2.2" pages to the letter. I was getting froze up for a very very long time on the "hold the volume keys while plugging in the cable" my computer said new hardware not recognized might not work.

OK so after a while I had no choice but to unplug remove the battery try again. debug on, debug off, all scenarios. still nothing.

I open kies try to get my phone to be recognized by kies, (hoping it will just fix itself) nothing, I kept getting hardware not recognized your item may not work properly. oven an over.

Just as i was about to give up after plugging and unplugging it Finlay saw it in keys, and went through the update process, (I have no idea why the other 18 attempts did nothing)

took about 15 minutes total. (the updating part) It did delete all the home screen stuff I had setup, and added a couple new icons. But seems OK. I haven't really done any kinda floating around yet on the phone to really see the difference.

The bottom line I'm glad I kept messing with, and hope to feel like I have a new phone again for a while.

Upvote 0
I read thru everything.
1. Tried it with connection kies in application setting. My phone said connected but Kies on PC "please connect your mobile phone"
2. Tried restart PC, USB debug mode then unplug with download mode. PC install driver but Kies still "please connect your mobile device"
I did them both. Little help please

I started with a new re-install of Kies Mini. I uninstalled the app first, then went into the registry and removed all references to "Kies", then reinstalled. At this point Kies still would not connect to the phone. I then followed the instruction given earlier in this thread (USB debug, etc.) and restarted Kies and then plugged in the phone - with no success. What did work was to plug the phone in first, select Kies Update mode on the phone, and then start Kies Mini last. Starting Kies first and then plugging in the phone did not work for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones