• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just figured Id share this

Could you come up with a universal input for the phone? By this, I mean a single cable (most likely the stock OEM one as it's relatively short, and stout) that then gets coupled with the OTG cable, or an HDMI cable, or just to charge...this way, the dock can be for OTG, or HDMI, or just to charge. It will take several couplers and some thinking...but hey...it would be epic :D

Upvote 0
Could you come up with a universal input for the phone? By this, I mean a single cable (most likely the stock OEM one as it's relatively short, and stout) that then gets coupled with the OTG cable, or an HDMI cable, or just to charge...this way, the dock can be for OTG, or HDMI, or just to charge. It will take several couplers and some thinking...but hey...it would be epic :D

I just actually ran to radio shack to pick up some switches to get the OTG/PC to work together. sad thing is I had to use 2 seperate switches. one just to switch off host mode and the other to turn off otg and turn on regular PC mode. Looks like I have some soldering in my future. :D

About the other adapters and stuff, If you really wanted, You can just use a short 2-5 inch micro usb adapter. Male to the phone, And female sticking out of the side of the housing. Then you could always plug your MHL cable or your OTG cable in the back if you wanted to be simple about it, And everything would work through the extention like normal. I want to intergrate(spelled wrong) most of this into my dock. I dont have a MHL cable, So all I have to worry about is PC, Charging, And OTG.

If your interested in a small USB dock extention, I ordered this from amazon: Amazon.com: Motorola Micro USB SKN6258 Adapter for RAZR2 V8 Q9m V9: Cell Phones & Accessories Works great with my phone. I had to cut it up though sadly, So I can wire these switches in along with the OTG. I should order another one just incase. :p

Upvote 0
Well, I gotta say, I got somewhat lucky with these 3.50 dollar switches. They fit PERFECTLY next to eachother in the gap between legos. This way you can switch them together with one finger. They are slightly loose and will still have to glue them in place, But there is no extra space on the sides or top to worry about. :D

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Another update.

I managed to get all the supplies I needed. I have it half way soldered up. I ordered a cheapo soldering stand with clamps and a magnifying glass off of Amazon to help me solder the wires on the tiny pins of the switches. Waiting for that to come before I finish this. Should be here by the end of the week.

Anywho, I have power to the phone at least through it! Still need to wire up the OTG and the micro USB data for the PC, Which have to be tied to the switches.

Ill post more images later. :p

Upvote 0
LOL I was just thinking about making a bunch of these for different phones and selling the designs. Problem is I dont have any of the real "popular" phones, so the market woukd be slightly limited :(
But you know the dimensions of our phone (length, height, width), and you know what offset makes it work "comfortably" given those dimensions.

I imagine a similar proportional offset would be comfortable on other devices, no?

Upvote 0
But you know the dimensions of our phone (length, height, width), and you know what offset makes it work "comfortably" given those dimensions.

I imagine a similar proportional offset would be comfortable on other devices, no?

Well, With legos, Theres only certain dimensions that are allowed(predefined by their shape) without actually cutting up the legos to make them smaller or whatever, Which could be a pain. If theres too much room, It looks sloppy and the phone might slap around. If its too tight.. Yeah. :p

I could give directions for other phones, But without actually having them in my hand and seeing what the best course of action is with the legos for a design.. I could be telling someone to do something that makes absolutely no sense when there could be better ways to do things.

I could give it a shot, But I dont think its a good idea without being able to hold the phone in my hand that I am designing the dock for.

Upvote 0
Well, Its done.... Not how I wanted it to be, But it works.

Turned out it was the switch... Had to run back to Radio Shack to get another. D=

Too late to take pics and a video, But will take them tomorrow! :D

I think this dock came out so much better than the first. Plus I had fun soldering my own wiring harness for it. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones