• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got 2.2 OTA

I also received 2.2 ota this morning. I don't really notice the phone acting any different. It doesn't seem any faster. I like the extra home screens though.

I received the original OTA last week (and pulled the file for it) and received another OTA this past Saturday (and pulled the file for it as well) and received a third OTA last night (and pulled the file for it as well).

The Sat OTA and last night's OTA match on a script by script match, MD5 match, build.prop match....

It you really want me to, I can extract both and compare file by file - but for that much intensive work just to prove they are the same when I already know they are the same you're gonna have to pay me. :p

And as for getting all of these OTA notifications:

The very first one I was in contact with OMJ and Trident Second one I was in contact with both of them and Peter Alfonso, and the last one I contacted all three as well.

Upvote 0
I think it's all political/legal, and not technical. I suspect that Motorola promised Verizon that their new Droid2 would be the first flash capable phone to hit the mass market. Once the FRG01B update started going out a few weeks, back, Verizon cried foul. Interestingly, on the morning the Droid2 was released, the FRG01B update (identical to previous) started flowing again. Coincidence? I think not.

This very well could be. There were rumors floating around that they pulled it do to conflicts with Flash, and this could be it. We'll see what happens in a week from today at the Adobe event, I bet you we'll see flash in the market.

Upvote 0
The only users that would even be getting the update that uses a different method are users that are not on ESE81. I wouldnt think there are many stock users on 2.0 or 2.0.1 out there anymore.

True. When I got the update last night it was the all in one FRG01B, the one that formats \System.... (the same one I got Saturday)

But another user posting about the update said the URL matched more along the lines of the original update.

So, perhaps they are being selective in who gets which update....which is rather odd, since one requires ESE81, and the other requires ESE81 or anything older....

Makes more sense to just push out this all in one update to everyone and be done with it.

(And in acutality it makes most sense to take the all in one update, path it with FRG22 files, and release it to everyone to get upgraded to FRG22 in one fell swoop and be done with)....

Upvote 0
True. When I got the update last night it was the all in one FRG01B, the one that formats \System.... (the same one I got Saturday)

But another user posting about the update said the URL matched more along the lines of the original update.

So, perhaps they are being selective in who gets which update....which is rather odd, since one requires ESE81, and the other requires ESE81 or anything older....

Makes more sense to just push out this all in one update to everyone and be done with it.

(And in acutality it makes most sense to take the all in one update, path it with FRG22 files, and release it to everyone to get upgraded to FRG22 in one fell swoop and be done with)....

They are going to want most users to get the FRG01B from ESE81 update cause its 30mb less. Less bandwidth taken up.

Upvote 0
This very well could be. There were rumors floating around that they pulled it do to conflicts with Flash, and this could be it. We'll see what happens in a week from today at the Adobe event, I bet you we'll see flash in the market.

Any conflicts between the initial FroYo release and Flash are political, as the new OTA release is the same version of FroYo. So, obviously no technical conflicts have been resolved. The whole issue seems to be about release timing. I'm running the Beta 10.1 Flash release under FRG01B and it works fine. My AppBrain sinc indicates a new minor Flash 10.1 update is around the corner. AppBrain mentions the minor release version of Flash to be installed, but it's not in the Android Market yet.

Upvote 0
The only users that would even be getting the update that uses a different method are users that are not on ESE81. I wouldnt think there are many stock users on 2.0 or 2.0.1 out there anymore.

I think the OP meant that last week's method was to side-load a snapshot image of FRG01B via boot recovery, which is what I did the day it was initially released. This week's method is to wait for the OTA. In either case, the version of the release is identical.

Upvote 0
I think the OP meant that last week's method was to side-load a snapshot image of FRG01B via boot recovery, which is what I did the day it was initially released. This week's method is to wait for the OTA. In either case, the version of the release is identical.

And for all intensive purposes the method is identical. Cause when you get it OTA the phone automatically boots into recovery renames the file to update.zip and applys it

Upvote 0
And for all intensive purposes the method is identical. Cause when you get it OTA the phone automatically boots into recovery renames the file to update.zip and applys it

Hate to be a language nazi, but for future reference the phrase is "for all intents and purposes".

Upvote 0
I got the update last night, I fiddled with the phone while it was restarting, and the update got erased on me, LOL. Back to 2.1 I still have yet to be offered it again via OTA. I'll wait it out. No rush. Just for those who are still waiting, I have second droid that has not even been offered it once yet. It's totally random. -droidosis-

Upvote 0
I got mine earlier today also. I'm digging it. I came from the incredible, which I had to give to my wife. One of the huge things that I hated about the moto droid was the lack of more home screens. I kind of like the htc sence stuff until I had the moto droid for a month. And now I have froyo before she does.

So what all has everyone noticed is different besides the new home screens and the phone feature at the bottom. I do think the browser is faster.

Upvote 0
I got mine earlier today also. I'm digging it. I came from the incredible, which I had to give to my wife. One of the huge things that I hated about the moto droid was the lack of more home screens. I kind of like the htc sence stuff until I had the moto droid for a month. And now I have froyo before she does.

So what all has everyone noticed is different besides the new home screens and the phone feature at the bottom. I do think the browser is faster.

You do know that their are several apps that can give you 7 screens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones