• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

just got a message...

from ATT saying: AT&T FREE MSG: AT&T is providing a free update for your phone. When asked to install the update, please select OK. Thank You.

i received this same message twice tonight, once, and then again after i didn't respond. froyo? maybe? :)

i checked for updates and it didn't say there was none, it said that i needed to check again in 24 hours...so i dunnnnnnoooo...

here's to hoping?...and here's to optimism? (which i realize is a hard thing to keep in a Samsung Captivate forum sometimes, but i'm trying!)

Just for fun, went into settings and did a manual update...

"Software update. Communication in progress." and it spins for about 3 minutes now.

The notification bar states "connecting to DM server..."

UPDATE---

"Unable to connect to ATT server"

*sigh*

Did the same thing to me after restarting and clearing the cache twice yesterday. Just did it again, took like less then a minute, 'No updates.'

Upvote 0
It'll be interesting to see if anyone else in these forums has gotten a text message from AT & T. I bet it's just an anomaly but you never know...

Folks have been getting the very message from AT&T for the past two (or more) months. Every time someone gets this message, they jump on it and post about it, asking if it is Froyo, and how they hope it is Froyo, and others say how they hope it is too...

And it isn't... it never is. As many have stated... if/when Froyo is available for the Captivate, it won't be announced by some Tom, Dick or Harry on a message board through a text from AT&T.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones