• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

just got a new battery from the verizon store

JGut

Nov 7, 2009
hope it works better than the one it came with. will let you guys know soon. this was one fresh out of an accessories battery plastic and I gave them back the one that came with my phone. lady said it was the first battery return at their location.

I read a post somewhere, here or elsewhere I can't recall, BUT:

The poster said that these re-chargeable batteries take a few (as many as 10 he said) 'charging cycles' to reach their full capacity.

Is this true? Any battery experts out there?

I have charged mine about 5 or 6 times, and I get about 6-7 hours for each charge. I should add, this 6-7 hours is with heavy usage.. This time, for me, is acceptable as I am never that far for long from a car charger... Though, this is definitely a shorter time than my last phone had (Palm Centro) ..

FC

Upvote 0
My Droid easly lasts 12 hours with light to moderate use. I don't use Wi-Fi or BT, but do a lot of web browsing and texting. I don't know if people with battery problems need to adjust settings or what, but after having a few smartphones, the Droid gets pretty amazing battery life considering it's capabilities.

Upvote 0
I have been getting about 10 hours or so with heavy use. Bluetooth the whole time connected to my Plantronics 590e stereo headset streaming Slacker or Pandora for the entire day , with about 50 or so texts and 40-50 emails and a few odd mms here or there. 30-40 minutes browsing the web and or marketplace at lunch.

I am much happier than I ever was with my Touch Pro or Touch Pro2 and on par with my Storm and not as good as my Curve or Pearl ever got. Overall I am very satisfied :D

Upvote 0
Changing settings, downloading apps, playing with ringtones, etc, etc, etc. All of these uses up the battery more than "regular" use. Once you lock down your settings and your favorite apps, and start using it, the batter will last much longer.

I had worries about the batter life the first weekend as well. But now that I have everything just about setup the way I want it, with regular use, the battery last a surprisingly long time.

Keep an eye on the "Battery Use" page at the end of the day (before you start charging it). Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery Use.

Look for any apps or widgets that might be using up too much battery. I pulled up an iMap Weather map one day and went back to the home screen. In about two hours it had eaten 50% of my battery. Uninstalled!

I also keep my screen brightness at 10% or on Auto, and as soon as I'm done using the phone I habitually hit the "lock screen" top button to turn the screen off.

Upvote 0
I have been getting about 10 hours or so with heavy use. Bluetooth the whole time connected to my Plantronics 590e stereo headset streaming Slacker or Pandora for the entire day , with about 50 or so texts and 40-50 emails and a few odd mms here or there. 30-40 minutes browsing the web and or marketplace at lunch.

I am much happier than I ever was with my Touch Pro or Touch Pro2 and on par with my Storm and not as good as my Curve or Pearl ever got. Overall I am very satisfied :D

Wow that seems way better than my battery life. I dunno, I will test it out but with wired headphones instead.

Upvote 0
I have had really bad battery usage since getting it, but did a battery pull last night (for the first time since I got the phone) and did an update with Verizon by dialing *228 option 2.

Today the battery use was much better. With moderate use through the day I had about 30% left by 5pm. However, I am trying to completely drain the battery and the part that has surprised me is that the last 15% has taken a really long time to drain.

I am still showing 10% remaining and it has been 17hrs 3mins since unplugged. My battery use breakdown is as follows:

Voice calls: 41% (57m3s)
Display: 21% (Time on 2h 8m 19s)
Phone Idle: 9% (Time on 14h 55m 20s)
Cell standby (17h 3m time without signal 20%) -- no idea what this means
Wi-Fi: 7% (Time on 4h 16m 14s)
Android System: 6% (CPU total 19m 34s)
Android OS (6m 57s)
Browser: 2% (5m 47s)
TouchdownL 2% (4m 50s)
Bluetooth: 2% (Time on 7h 25m 48s)

Not a lot of browser use or app use today, but a fair amount of talk-time. However, I think the rest of the last week, I have been concerned about the battery because it was showing only 20% remaining. However, in reality it looks like you still get a lot of use time even after that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones