• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got a new HTC 10; haven't rooted in 2 1/2 years, so...

Lord Vader

Android Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2010
My HTC One M8 basically got so slow and crappy that I decided to finally get a new phone, so I opted for the HTC 10, being an HTC fan. I wavered between just leaving it stock or rooting it, the former because I've just been so damn busy and tired that I wondered if rooting was even necessary anymore. Suffice it to say that I decided to root it but most likely leave it on its stock ROM.

My main question, and forgive me if this sounds stupid (I ask because I admittedly haven't done this since June 2015), is--before I activate the HTC 10, which is just sitting in its box, I was wondering how would I be able to get my apps, at least most of them, from my HTC One M8 to the 10? Must I log in to my Google Play account and manually install them one by one? If so, doesn't that require the new phone to be activated? Also, I have a 32GB microSD card in the M8 and want to simply use it in the 10. Granted, a few things might not work in the 10, but I want to be able to use a lot of files, photos, and videos stored on the card. Moreover, some apps ran off the card and not the M8's internal storage.

I guess I'm essentially looking to have the HTC 10 all loaded up and as close to the current One M8 before I finally activate the 10.

Thoughts? Comments?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones