• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just got a new Photon, have a few questions

trmac01

Aug 26, 2011
CA
Hello everyone, I just got my Photon yesterday coming from a Blackberry Curve that is about two years old so this is my first experience with Android and I have some questions and one concern.

Notifications: When I get a new text message there is no indication on the phone that there is a new message other than in the status notifications bar, my BB has a little star on the SMS envelope indicating an unread message, any way to get this on the Photon?

Sounds: Also, I would like to turn off the tone for emails and only have it for FB and text messages, any way to separate those?

Battery: Where can I see my battery information, like what percentage I am at throughout the day

That's it for questions for now :D But I do have something that concerned me a little yesterday, the phone was at 70% when I took it off the charger and went to class. At our break, the phone had been off the charger for almost tow hours, the phone had shut off, I assumed due to battery. I plugged it in to the charger and there was no light or any indication that it was charging. I waited about twenty minutes and there was still no light or anything, until I pulled the battery and then it turned on and finally showed a charging light and showed 20%-any suggestions??

Thanks everyone :)

First, for your text messages I would look into one of the text apps on the market. I have been using Handcent. Other people like Chomp. Either one will give you a little notification in the bar with the number of unread messages. It will also let you select the ringtone for your texts as well as assign ringtones for specific contacts.

Not sure about the notification sounds for FB. If you use on of the FB widgets they may allow you to specify a specific ringtone.

There are numerous battery widget apps. But in the meantime you will want to charge your phone completely and discharge it completely a couple of cycles to properly break in the battery.

Reactions: trmac01
Upvote 0
Welcome to the world of the Photon!

Notifications: When I get a new text message there is no indication on the phone that there is a new message other than in the status notifications bar, my BB has a little star on the SMS envelope indicating an unread message, any way to get this on the Photon?

While some Android phones do show notification numbers, the Photon does not. You can download an app like SMS Unread Count to get this functionality.

Sounds: Also, I would like to turn off the tone for emails and only have it for FB and text messages, any way to separate those?
You can turn off notification sounds for email in the email settings. From inside the email app, hit Menu -> Email Settings -> Notifications and set it to silent.

Battery: Where can I see my battery information, like what percentage I am at throughout the day
Some battery apps allow you to see battery power at a glance. Check the Market, there are a ton of them. Circle Battery Widget is a popular one. For a clumsy workaround, you can hit Menu from your home screen, then Settings -> Battery & Data Manager -> Battery Usage, then click on the little graph at the top. This will give you an estimate of your battery percentage in line graph form.

That's it for questions for now :D But I do have something that concerned me a little yesterday, the phone was at 70% when I took it off the charger and went to class. At our break, the phone had been off the charger for almost tow hours, the phone had shut off, I assumed due to battery. I plugged it in to the charger and there was no light or any indication that it was charging. I waited about twenty minutes and there was still no light or anything, until I pulled the battery and then it turned on and finally showed a charging light and showed 20%-any suggestions??

Hmm, sounds like something was pulling at the battery. The Photon gets excellent battery life so the behavior you describe isn't normal. From the home screen, click on Menu -> Settings -> Battery & Data Management -> Battery Usage and see what apps or functions are draining your battery. They'll be listed as a percentage of total battery usage (not total battery power). Also check to see if your 4G is on; unless you're actively using it, no need for it to be on. Same with wifi.

Upvote 0
I turned off the 4G radio right away b/c I am not in a 4G area, I went to battery usage and the biggest battery sucker is the Display and the Phone Idle, 54% and 23% respectively, battery seems to be doing better today so far.
Thanks for the tips about the email notifications, I think I have that turned off now and it looks like its still on for the text messages.

Thanks so much :D

Upvote 0
Battery life seems to improve as time goes on. That's partly because you don't constantly play with the phone, tweaking settings and such. :D The phone idle drain could be due to a weaker signal area (like in a lecture hall or classroom). But yes, fully discharging and then recharging the battery can help. Also, reducing social media check-in/sync frequency can help with battery drain.

These forums are great, I've learned a lot reading them. Make sure to check out the general Android threads (not phone specific) as well, tons of good info and tips.

Reactions: trmac01
Upvote 0
it sounds like the original battery issue you had was the common freeze issue that the photon has. It will sometimes just black out, and even holding the power button to boot up won't work. you have to battery pull then boot up. if this is the case make sure you have the up to date software for the phone. and if it happens again and you DO have the update, contact sprint for a replacement. this is going on with mine still and my replacement will be in tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I just got my Photon yesterday coming from a Blackberry Curve that is about two years old so this is my first experience with Android and I have some questions and one concern.

Congrats on the purchase! I'll be honest, you'll probably have a little 'bit more of a learning curve than others that are coming from a Windows Mobile phone, but there are so many places on this forum (in addition to the MoPho forums) that will help you along with getting comfortable with Android.

I haven't used the Motorola UI since the 1st day I owned the MoPho, but does the text messaging app (when placed in the bottom dock) not display the number of text messages? I thought that was pretty much a standard, but maybe not. Some people have suggested a different text messaging app to use, in order to see the notifications.

There's also the option of using a different UI/Launcher. I know Go Launcher Ex and Launcher Pro Plus definitely allow for the number notification to be shown on the dock and I'm sure there are others that do as well. This thread should help you understand more what a different Launcher/UI can do for you, if you haven't ventured that route yet.
http://androidforums.com/motorola-p...rmarket-rooting-not-required.html#post3087410

Open email app, hit Menu>Settings>Notifications>Un-check the Notifications in status bar (if you don't want the visual notification) and then if you just don't want the sound, click Select Ringtone>Silent

Stock Android doesn't show exact battery percentage. I think there have only been 3 battery apps that show exact percentage (which is slightly more accurate). Motorola, for some reason, has the system defaulted to only show 5% increments for the top and bottom 20% range. The middle percentage range is shown in 10% increments.

Check out the battery life thread:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-photon-4g/386188-tell-us-about-your-battery-life-2.html

And the apps that have been found to show 1% increments:
https://market.android.com/details?id=battery.monitor&feature=more_from_developer
https://market.android.com/details?id=ch.blinkenlights.battery&feature=search_result
https://market.android.com/details?...oid.CircleBatteryWidget&feature=search_result

First, it sounds like you have Sync setting that continues to pull for data, when you may not have necessarily needed it to. Make sure you set your data sync accordingly, to your needs. Also, I'd suggest that you turn GPS off and on, based on your needs to use it. A lot of apps can pull information based off 3G, but not sure if you're running any apps that require GPS to be on at all times. If you do, then that might not be an option for you.

I recommend Juice Defender to help manage your battery life. I've used it ever since my EVO and continue to use it on my MoPho without issues. It's not a task killer, so it won't harm anything to have it on (FYI, you have to open the app after downloading, in order to activate it. You'll know it's on because you'll see the Juice Defender Icon in the notification bar).
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender&feature=search_result

As far as the battery light staying on while charging...that seems to be a Motorola distinction. Some have pointed out that the LED light only comes on and stays lit when the phone is completely powered off. If you're in standby (screen off, but phone on), I did notice last night that the LED light blinks while it's charging, but once it's fully charged, the LED light stops blinking. I think there's still yet to be confirmation if an app can actually allow the phone to have the LED light stay on while charging (and the phone being on, as well as creen). There is an app that many have recommended, but I haven't seen anybody confirm that it can manage the light to stay on (solid) while charging. Give it a shot, to see if it meets the needs for what you're looking for:
https://market.android.com/details?...oid.lightflowlite&feature=more_from_developer

Here's another one I just found as well:
https://market.android.com/details?id=imoblife.blink&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
it sounds like the original battery issue you had was the common freeze issue that the photon has. It will sometimes just black out, and even holding the power button to boot up won't work. you have to battery pull then boot up. if this is the case make sure you have the up to date software for the phone. and if it happens again and you DO have the update, contact sprint for a replacement. this is going on with mine still and my replacement will be in tomorrow.

Yes this is exactly what happened to me yesterday but I didn't have the software update until this morning, so far all has been good today but I'll be watching out for it, hopefully it was just a one time thing

Upvote 0
Congrats on the purchase! I'll be honest, you'll probably have a little 'bit more of a learning curve than others that are coming from a Windows Mobile phone, but there are so many places on this forum (in addition to the MoPho forums) that will help you along with getting comfortable with Android.

There is a definite learning curve but I'm catching on pretty good so far, I have kept the stock UI but am curious to try some of these others, do I have to do my customizations all over again if I install another UI?

I haven't used the Motorola UI since the 1st day I owned the MoPho, but does the text messaging app (when placed in the bottom dock) not display the number of text messages? I thought that was pretty much a standard, but maybe not. Some people have suggested a different text messaging app to use, in order to see the notifications.

I installed Handcent b/c the stock UI would not show any notifications of messages other than in the status updates that you drag down.

There's also the option of using a different UI/Launcher. I know Go Launcher Ex and Launcher Pro Plus definitely allow for the number notification to be shown on the dock and I'm sure there are others that do as well. This thread should help you understand more what a different Launcher/UI can do for you, if you haven't ventured that route yet.
http://androidforums.com/motorola-p...rmarket-rooting-not-required.html#post3087410

Open email app, hit Menu>Settings>Notifications>Un-check the Notifications in status bar (if you don't want the visual notification) and then if you just don't want the sound, click Select Ringtone>Silent

I did this and now that is working how I want it to I believe

Stock Android doesn't show exact battery percentage. I think there have only been 3 battery apps that show exact percentage (which is slightly more accurate). Motorola, for some reason, has the system defaulted to only show 5% increments for the top and bottom 20% range. The middle percentage range is shown in 10% increments.

I installed battery circle based on some other posts about this app and its working great

First, it sounds like you have Sync setting that continues to pull for data, when you may not have necessarily needed it to. Make sure you set your data sync accordingly, to your needs. Also, I'd suggest that you turn GPS off and on, based on your needs to use it. A lot of apps can pull information based off 3G, but not sure if you're running any apps that require GPS to be on at all times. If you do, then that might not be an option for you.

I recommend Juice Defender to help manage your battery life. I've used it ever since my EVO and continue to use it on my MoPho without issues. It's not a task killer, so it won't harm anything to have it on (FYI, you have to open the app after downloading, in order to activate it. You'll know it's on because you'll see the Juice Defender Icon in the notification bar).
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender&feature=search_result

As far as the battery light staying on while charging...that seems to be a Motorola distinction. Some have pointed out that the LED light only comes on and stays lit when the phone is completely powered off. If you're in standby (screen off, but phone on), I did notice last night that the LED light blinks while it's charging, but once it's fully charged, the LED light stops blinking. I think there's still yet to be confirmation if an app can actually allow the phone to have the LED light stay on while charging (and the phone being on, as well as creen). There is an app that many have recommended, but I haven't seen anybody confirm that it can manage the light to stay on (solid) while charging. Give it a shot, to see if it meets the needs for what you're looking for:
https://market.android.com/details?...oid.lightflowlite&feature=more_from_developer

See above but the phone was completely off and would not turn on and would show no indication light at all until I did the battery pull. I did the software update today and am hoping I won't see this behavior again.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone here makes the transition so much easier :D

Upvote 0
There is a definite learning curve but I'm catching on pretty good so far, I have kept the stock UI but am curious to try some of these others, do I have to do my customizations all over again if I install another UI?

Yes, you'd just need to re-do the customizations for the aftermarket launcher. Take a look at the Launcher thread I linked you to. There's an app called HomeSmack that'll allow you to jump back and forth between the aftermarket UI and the stock UI. When you go back to the stock UI, your customizations on there should still be there.

See above but the phone was completely off and would not turn on and would show no indication light at all until I did the battery pull. I did the software update today and am hoping I won't see this behavior again.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone here makes the transition so much easier :D

If you barely did the update today, I'm pretty sure it solved that problem for most folks. There are a few that are experiencing looping re-starts of the phone, which wouldn't apply here.

Glad to help. I was in a similar boat as you last year (except transition was from Windows Mobile). There were all these new Android terms that I wasn't used to, as compared to Windows Mobile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones