1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Just got an HTC Sensation, couple of Qs !!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jamiej_HTC, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jamiej_HTC

jamiej_HTC Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi all,

I have recently migrated from Apple to Android via the HTC Sensation and so far am pretty impressed.

I like the size and shape of the Sensation, I also like the speed of it and way in which it navigates around the menus, I do have a couple of questions though that I thought you guys might be able to help me with.

Phone model : HTC Sensation Z710e

Carrier : Vodafone UK

Android version : 2.3.3

Sense version : 3.0

My questions/issues are:-

1. If am constantly having to turn my WiFi on, I can use it, find signal, surf the web but then if I leave it for about an hour and try and go back on the internet, the WiFi is turned off and I need to turn it back on again. Is this normal? The iPhone had it always running in the background and would automatically connect to a network which it was linked to.

2. eBay app, this occasionally logs itself out and then I have to log myself back in. Is this normal?

3. Phone signal seems to be affected massively by the way in which I hold the phone, is this the famous "death grip", I thought this was just scare tactics.

4. Lastly, are there any apps which I really should invest in? Is the standard internet browser the best?

Thanks for your help on the above in advance, I hope that these are all easily remedied, and wont require my phone going back to Vodafone !!

Jamie

Advertisement

2. jamiej_HTC

jamiej_HTC Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
  3. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Hello, welcome to the forums. You might have better luck getting answers to your questions here:
    HTC Sensation - Android Forums
    good luck and enjoy your new phone!

NetGhost likes this.
  4. alek_73

alek_73 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    Electronic engineer, embedded SW development
    Romagna, Italy
    In WiFi settings, you can decide if the WiFi has to switch off with a time-out

5. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Regarding the Phone Signal, the cellular radios are towards the very bottom of the phone. On the "US" version, there are (2) small holes on the rear cover, which lead to the antennae. Conversely, the wi-fi radio/antenna is near the top of the phone. In my previpus experience with various HTC phones, on all major US carrriers, the radio reception has beeen somewhat lacking. Despite the status bar showing 2-3 bars of cell signal on the Sensation, the dBm levels are often low enough that connecting a call may not succceed (-95dBm - -105dBm)...YMMV.

6. zanders

zanders Lurker
    None

May 7, 2010
    Hiya Fella,

1 -: go into Wi-Fi settings - press the menu button on the bottom of the phone and select advanced - check your Wi-Fi sleep policy and make sure best wifi performance is selected.

2- : cannot comment on this but maybe related to question 1.

3- : Have you got any type type of case on the phone? depending on the case will depend on signal strength for all connection types.

4- : A few apps i recommend :- Better Music Player 2.1 or Playerpro, 3g Watchdog Pro, Estrongs File Explorer, Handy Safe(syncs with PC), Act 1 Videoplayer, Stupid Zombies, Pinball HD, Roboto, Asphalt6 HD, Robo Defense, Wifi Analyzer,My Beach HD.

Hope this helps?

jamiej_HTC likes this.
  7. jamiej_HTC

jamiej_HTC Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Cheers all, I have another look.
    Jamie

8. mbatson89

mbatson89 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    UK
    I use the ebay app and can't say i've ever had it log me out randomly. Not using a task killer or anything like that are you?

I don't seem to get the death grip which is odd, i am testing this is a strong signal area though.

As for the browser, i'd recommend Dolphin browser HD over the stock browser personally but that's not to say it's better, just preference.

9. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2009
    IT consultant
    Shropshire UK
    I concur that Dolphin is a very good browser but Opera mini is worth having as well as a secondary browser. because it operates via operas servers and all traffic is compressed at times when you have a poor signal it will be many many times faster than Dolphin or the stock browser.

I like "Pkt Auctions" for Ebay. it is not as fully featured as the genuine Ebay app but it is very fast.

My other app tips are:

Barcode scanner
    lookout
    gps tracker
    evernote
    read it later
    tv guide
    net sentry
    sugar sync
    dropbox
    tasker
    system panel
    dog catcher

sorry not to add descriptions, short on time but all are worth checking out in the market

10. finalfantasy7

finalfantasy7 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    other apps

app 2 SD card
    where's my Droid
    android info system
    what's app
    opera.mini 6

11. Cleggy

Cleggy Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    UK
    Dolphin browser mini is the browser of choice 4 me, well worth checking out. Tiny size, fast and nice design/layout. Also Can Knockdown is certainly a game 2 checkout!