• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just got JB official [VZW] brightness bug

dhworph

Android Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2011
I always leave my phone on auto-brightness. I really liked the smooth transitions of 4.0.4, although I thought they were a bit slow sometimes... not with 4.1.1 they are way too fast and frequent! ARGH! pet peave!

Any 4.1.1 roms with the 4.0.4 smooth brightness transisitons? Or other workarounds?

I've found that in normal indoors daylight, auto brightness works well. I just miss the smooth transitions of 4.0.4.

I find the screen too bright for nighttime, even at 0% brightness, but I think this is a screen technology issue. The screen looks bad at lower brightnesses.

Upvote 0
ok, I've found an app "Lux". The free version does a pretty smooth auto-brightness. I don't know how it is on battery, but it lets you set the auto brightness levels somewhat custom. I still think ICS 4.0.4 auto brightness transitions are smoother, but Lux is better than JB's built in auto brightness, which suffers from extreme paranoia, jumping the tiniest change in phone angle to light rays.

Anyone have any other auto-brightness apps they like, feel free to post them.

Reactions: wtherrell
Upvote 0
I've found Custom Auto Brightness App to be a better solution. It is easier to modify settings (with a graph), and it works more consistently than the free version of lux. It still has a few bugs, like every now and then it will jump to really dark or really bright (about once or twice a charge cycle, about once a day for me).

Sorry to keep bumping the thread, just hoping to help someone else out who might be having the same issue.

Upvote 0
ok, I've found an app "Lux". The free version does a pretty smooth auto-brightness. I don't know how it is on battery, but it lets you set the auto brightness levels somewhat custom. I still think ICS 4.0.4 auto brightness transitions are smoother, but Lux is better than JB's built in auto brightness, which suffers from extreme paranoia, jumping the tiniest change in phone angle to light rays.

Anyone have any other auto-brightness apps they like, feel free to post them.
+1 for Lux you can set it for min brightness in room lighting and full on in sunlight. You can also adjust the transition increments and speeds. This app is a good find.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones