• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got my EVO 4G yesterday and have some basic questions...

Connectz

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010
Neptune
I was a day 1 iPhone user and got tired of Apple not addressing certain things so I jumped ship and got on the Android boat.

I'm pretty tech savvy and just have a few basic questions.

1.) Where is the notepad? If not native, whats the consensus on the best one on the market?

2.) I'm a serious music fiend. I have over 40,000 songs in my music library. Since I use an iMac exclusively, I used iTunes to manage my music library. I don't even need to tell you guys how easy it was to put music from your computer to your iPhone and iPod.

Now, I hooked up the EVO to the iMac as a disk drive and saw the different folders. Naturally I saw the music folder and studied the structure. So I opened some playlists and copied the songs into the folder and added it to the music folder on the EVO.

My thinking was that doing this, each folder would act as a playlist. So I unmount the EVO and fire up the music app and my music is all over the place... I notice they only group the songs together if they have the same album title...

There has GOT to be an easier way to make a playlist on the EVO than doing it manually on the phone itself.

3.) I am using Google Voice (have been since July 2009). In my contact list, how do I make it so that only the name shows? I don't want the numbers to show as I try to "quick dial." Also, how do I lock my contact list? I used to have a Palm Treo and it had the ability to actually hide a single contact. Can I do something similar with the EVO?

4.) I have been browsing through the wallpaper and post your desktop threads and noticed some REALLY nice themes... Must I have to have a rooted phone to get these themes?

5.) Whenever I hooked my iPhone up to the iMac, all I had to do was sync it to back up my phone. How do I back up my EVO to my iMac?

6.) Is there any talk of some sort of Android music player like iTunes thats in the works?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

1. I use color note, never used notepad on the iphone so I don't know what exactly you are looking for. I actually use email to write notes to myself. This way, I have the note on my phone, my home PC, work PC, etc.

2. Unfortunately, I'm not the music fiend. I have heard that doubletwist can port your itunes to your phone (playlists included?). The problem of course it's not a replacement for itunes.

3. Don't know :(

4. Many of the desktop themes, yes, you would have to root your phone. I have the Evo as well, but don't want to root, so I've settled for minor customizations like beautiful home for the custom clock/weather/calendar widget:

EvoHome01.png

The shootme app that lets you take screenshots used to work with the Evo, but it doesn't anymore (update?) Apparently, Android doesn't allow for screenshots, you either have to root the phone, or use the Android SDK - I used the SDK to get the screenshot, was a real pita, major reason why I don't want to root. :D

5. There are backup programs. Android is meant for cloud integration, iphone was built for PC integration. I prefer the cloud because I can access all my stuff from anywhere. Music streaming is gaining in this regard as well. Doesn't mean you have to give up your desktop media, but it does mean you have to rely on third party apps for it.

6. As far as I know, there is no planned music player like itunes in the works by Google. I have heard good things about rockplayer for video. Music? Don't know, I used the default player.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I hope it's enough to get you started. ;)

Reactions: Connectz
Upvote 0
1. I use color note, never used notepad on the iphone so I don't know what exactly you are looking for. I actually use email to write notes to myself. This way, I have the note on my phone, my home PC, work PC, etc.

2. Unfortunately, I'm not the music fiend. I have heard that doubletwist can port your itunes to your phone (playlists included?). The problem of course it's not a replacement for itunes.

3. Don't know :(

4. Many of the desktop themes, yes, you would have to root your phone. I have the Evo as well, but don't want to root, so I've settled for minor customizations like beautiful home for the custom clock/weather/calendar widget:

EvoHome01.png

The shootme app that lets you take screenshots used to work with the Evo, but it doesn't anymore (update?) Apparently, Android doesn't allow for screenshots, you either have to root the phone, or use the Android SDK - I used the SDK to get the screenshot, was a real pita, major reason why I don't want to root. :D

5. There are backup programs. Android is meant for cloud integration, iphone was built for PC integration. I prefer the cloud because I can access all my stuff from anywhere. Music streaming is gaining in this regard as well. Doesn't mean you have to give up your desktop media, but it does mean you have to rely on third party apps for it.

6. As far as I know, there is no planned music player like itunes in the works by Google. I have heard good things about rockplayer for video. Music? Don't know, I used the default player.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I hope it's enough to get you started. ;)

Thanx bro! I VERY much appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
There's a simple solution for the whole playlist issue; at least, depending on which music player you're using. At least with Mixzing (my personal favorite so far. You can just drag the music from the iTunes playlist into the Music folder, and then right click on the playlist name, and select "Export" from the menu. Then save the playlist file as a .m3u in the Music folder. Mixzing can read the .m3u playlist file, and as long as the songs in the playlist are in the music folder, it will work great.

Reactions: Connectz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones