• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got my EVO what problems!!??

foodman it is not a computer, 30 vs 60 does not mean anything on a 4 inch screen, maybe on a 60inch but not a 4 inch.

If you do not like the evo, send it back and stop troll the forums.

If the only thing you can do is complain about something that has been beaten to death, then you need to find yourself a new phone.

I hear the iphone is nice.

Actually, it is a computer. It has a processor, RAM, memory, input, and a display. So it's a computer.

And I assure you, depending on what your doing, you CAN tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps on a 4" screen. Unless your eyes are bad.

Upvote 0
I am not arguing tech credentials but the 30 vs. 60 fps argument is sort of ridiculous.

In gaming 30 vs. 60 would be barely noticeable if maintained at those rates. The reason I say this is that if it was dropping from 50 to 20 or from 30 to 10 you would notice the drop because it is based on hardware performance. The card is unable to process the frames quickly enough. However, that is not what is happening with the EVO. It is capped at 30 fps. If a dvd looks choppy then I suppose you have freak eyesight. Most console shooters are capped at 30fps performance.

The truth is the evo has decent video performance and will almost never drop below the solid 30 fps. It's obviously lower then 60 but where you would drop from 60 to 15 on a hero or other phone that doesn't happen on an evo so the frame rate of 30 is not noticeable. This is not to suggest that a significant performance decrease on the evo would not be noticeable but to argue that because it is capped at 30 it performs poorly is semi-ridiculous.

Reactions: sagedil
Upvote 0
Actually, it is a computer. It has a processor, RAM, memory, input, and a display. So it's a computer.

i just want to discuss this one issue that u said....

by your definition....
a fridge that has a display....is a computer... NOT a fridge?
my 54" LCD TV is a Computer, not a TV
my Printer with a display.. is a Computer.
List goes on and on..

EVO is a PHONE! NOT a computer. It is a Smart-phone. And can do what a small computer can do. But it is a PHONE. And it's main function to be... is make and receive calls.

back on subject.. I want higher than 30 fps!!! :D

ps... OP.. welcome and have a great time with your EVO!

Upvote 0
semantics.gif

Upvote 0

by your definition....
List goes on and on..

EVO is a PHONE! NOT a computer. It is a Smart-phone. And can do what a small computer can do. But it is a PHONE. And it's main function to be... is make and receive calls.

Want to play games at >30fps? Get a computer.

Upvote 0
It's amazing how some of you people on here that complain actually think it helps... Call Sprint and complain to them. Or hell... Just complain on here and see who agrees with you... Either way You have an EVO. Don't like it? Spent too much on the phone for the kind of quality it has? Return it. I'm sure there will be better phones in the future. But for god sakes... embrace the fact that people like this phone. Some people like to stay positive and progress- and those people don't care to hear how crappy you think the phone is.

My advice. Return the phone if you don't like it. And wait 6 months for a better phone. Pz

Upvote 0

by your definition....
List goes on and on..

Anything that has a display, input method, processor, and RAM/ROM, is indeed a computer.

And the fact that my Samsung Moment has over 10x the processing power, quadruple the RAM, and 16x the storage than my FIRST computer, says something there.

Upvote 0
If you had two phones that were identical in all other aspects, except one was capped at 30 fps, and the other was able to achieve 60 fps...which phone would be better?

By your logic, there would be no difference.

In the real world, you'll find now two phones that were identical in all other areas. Your hypothesis is fantasy only, not real world.

Of course, two Evos with one capped and one not would be the only thing you could hope for, but right now, that's not happening.

Upvote 0
If you had two phones that were identical in all other aspects, except one was capped at 30 fps, and the other was able to achieve 60 fps...which phone would be better?

By your logic, there would be no difference.

By any sensible logic, there would be no difference.

You'll have to find something that actually runs at >30fps in the first place, of which there are ridiculously few. The most commonly cited reason, games, actually rarely if ever break 25-30fps.

Upvote 0

You'll have to find something that actually runs at >30fps in the first place, of which there are ridiculously few. The most commonly cited reason, games, actually rarely if ever break 25-30fps.

But did you every think that the artificial 30fps cap can somehow still be limiting the output, by checking and making sure everything IS under 30fps.... Speculation yes, but it's a possibility.

Point is, there IS a noticeable difference on the EVO vs other phones.

Upvote 0

Here are two of those "ridiculously few" that break 30 fps....face it, the EVO has poor graphics performace:

YouTube - AndroidCentral's Channel

Upvote 0
Here are two of those "ridiculously few" that break 30 fps....face it, the EVO has poor graphics performace:

YouTube - AndroidCentral's Channel

I never said the EVO has good graphics performance. That's because of the Snapdragon chip it has, the GPU is not as powerful as the OMAP+PowerVR.

The point is, the EVO can't make it to 30fps in the first place, so a CAP on something you can't reach should NOT be an issue.

Hell, your own video demonstrates it nicely. Neither Asphalt nor the Neocore benchmark made it close to 30fps. The Neocore benchmark only managed 25fps, which is UNDER the 30fps cap everyone always complains about. If it was hitting the cap, you'd see that at exactly 30fps.

Upvote 0
I don't see how you making a rant about how other people are ranting is doing anything but exacerbating the problem. The whole reasons that forums like android forums and XDA developers exist is because like minded people want to come together and talk about the pros and cons of a phone and whether those cons can be fixed. If you're okay with what is handed to you then there's no problem, but just because some people like pushing their phones to new limits doesn't mean that they're trolling or bitching. You'd expect the best for your kids. Why not for your phone?

Upvote 0
I don't see how you making a rant about how other people are ranting is doing anything but exacerbating the problem. The whole reasons that forums like android forums and XDA developers exist is because like minded people want to come together and talk about the pros and cons of a phone and whether those cons can be fixed. If you're okay with what is handed to you then there's no problem, but just because some people like pushing their phones to new limits doesn't mean that they're trolling or bitching. You'd expect the best for your kids. Why not for your phone?

Because it's not a con. It's a nothing, because it has no impact. But instead, people blame the 30fps cap on every single thing. People here need to be educated and realize that, shockingly enough, almost everything they see is running at less than or equal to 30fps in the first place.

It's like having a speedometer on your car that goes to 60, but your car's engine can't go faster than 25-30. Does it really matter if the manufacturer changes the speedometer for 30? Of course it doesn't.

Upvote 0
Amen! Preech on brother...or sister lls

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones