• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just got my M8 today, and I have a couple concerns

First off, I was told online this is a T-Mobile brand, but I see no branding. I specifically need a GSM m8 for the area I'm moving to. Don't think anything except metro works out there. I have a metro Sim that I got from a friend, but it's too large to fit the sim card slot, so I'm pretty sure it's CDMA. How can I find out for sure?

The second thing that I notice, when turning on the phone, during boot up, I see in red lettering something like "This phone build is for development purposes only, don't distribute outside of HTC"

Did I get a floor model or something? It connects to WiFi, everything so far seems to work. I'm really concerned about the CDMA/GSM issue most though. This is, literally, my dream phone. I will cry if I can't get it to work for me lol

Ok, if I'm not mistaken the M8 doesn't come with branding. only the verizon variant
(But even the Verizon and Sprint CDMA variants support sim cards)
and also support GSM networks , you just have to or need to have them unlocked (which I also believe they are but for International use)

The red letters is because You bought a used phone (it seems) and the phone is rotted and or S-Off too

the problem you are having with the sim card is becase it uses a NANO sim card
make sure you get the appropriated sim.
SO u will most likely need to go to T-Mobile and ask for a nano sim and explain that you intend to use Metro. Which is part of T-Mobile.
MAYBE just maybe they can help you.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
He means rooted.

That bootloader message comes up for all of us with a changed recovery or a changed /system partition.

Hold volume down + power while powering on, you'll get to the bootloader - it has two main modes with separate menus - HBOOT and FASTBOOT.

From HBOOT, you can choose RECOVERY and see if TWRP comes up (or God forbid CWM, that hasn't been supported since it came out).

If you don't have fastboot on your pc, get it here, just unzip the sdk-tools.zip file -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Go to FASTBOOT, plug in to your pc, it'll switch to FASTBOOT USB mode. Say this from a command window (shift+right_click on the sdk-tools folder in Windows Explorer, Open a command window here) -

fastboot getvar all

Alt+space for command window, E for edit, select all, copy and paste here. Remove the IMEI and serial numbers for your protection.

That's a dump of your firmware version info, I'll tell you exactly what model/carrier you have from that.

Also, and this is important, tell what it says at the top of bootloader screen, from the first line down to and including the date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones