1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Just got the 4.4.2 update..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by systemofadown, Dec 9, 2013.

1. systemofadown

systemofadown Android Enthusiast

2012 N7, Things seem fine so far. Anybody else feel a noticeable difference in preformance (after this update that is)? [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lvt

lvt Android Expert

This is usually a bugs fixing version of the Kit kat.

3. systemofadown

Yep ;). Been waiting on this fix. Installed with no problems, but looks like I'm going to have to re-root. Everything else seems to be running smoothly.

4. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Android Enthusiast

anyone get the ScreenCast thing from within Settings to work?

5. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

I received the update too. Re-rooted. :)

6. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

7. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert

Ohhh, exciting. Just opened my case, and was greeted with the message. :)

Didn't charge last night though, and it says battery too low to proceed, so maybe in a bit.

What exactly is this "fix"ing?

8. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

Check my link.

9. TheAmazingDave

Yea, was hoping for more info than that. :(

I *think* they may have added official support for GEL. Just a speculation, as my sideloaded GEL is working properly now, allowing me to delete icons from the homescreen when I could not before.

Interesting...

10. Trimbaud

Trimbaud Well-Known Member

Well, the Google keyboard makes extremely irritating keypress sounds now..

11. systemofadown

Trimbaud, I did notice that my space bar got a different tone, a harder knock than the other keys when pressed ( actually that's the only thing I noticed that changed - I know its mostly bug fixes & performance improvement's) had the GEL apk side loaded as well before this update too. TheAmavingDave, were you not able to swipe away items on the Google now screen before? Mine was functional before the update, but sometimes the search bar or saying OK Google would not work at all...

12. TheAmazingDave

Nope, I was not able to remove icons on the homescreen in any fashion which caused me to give up and switch back to Nova.

I always still had the black bar with Nova, but after the update it's now transparent too, which prompted me to check my GEL. Now that's working right too, but it still runs choppy.

I'll stick with Nova.

13. systemofadown

That would have driven me nuts ... If I come across any fixes or similar problems I'll let you know ;). Still don't know why Google is holding back the GEL, but maybe they know best....

14. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

Just finished the update, cleared cache partition, and rebooted. I was somewhat apprehensive, given the two recent disasterous 4.3 updates on my AT&T Galaxy S4. However, nothing seems broken (other than App Ops, which was mentioned in colchiro's link, above) and everything else work fine. Oddly, the transparent status and softkey bar with Apex launcher that went away with the 4.3 update is now partially back. It's transparent on the lockscreen but not the homescreen. No keyboard issues, since I use Hacker's Keyboard. I'll update if I find anything else.

UPDATE: Was ready to hit Post when I did notice something. Having the same issue with updating an app through the Amazon Appstore that I had on my S4 after the 4.3 update(s). That is, the download and install appear to complete successfully

15. val88

val88 Android Enthusiast

Uggggh. Had 4.4 rooted just a few weeks ago. Never got OTA 4.4.1 but today 4.4.2 popped up in my notification bar.

Since this is mainly a bug fix I figure it would be no big deal and thinking 4.4.1 was rolled in. WRONG.
    The update failed and went into boot loop with the little red ! android and "NO COMMAND".

So now I'm in the process of doing a factory reset. Will try aaaagain.
    Of the last 5 4.x update, this was my 3rd failed OTA update with the need for factory reset. Reading through other forums of the last 2-3 weeks, there has been more than a few users with 2012 N7 with this problem.

Wish there were better imaging tools from google. While I love nexus root toolkit I still wish google would come out with a cloud based full disc imaging tool. I'm sure there are more than its share of security issues with that type of service.

Update:
    Oh dear god, 4.4.2 has become my nightmare OTA. I will never buy another kitkat bar again. :b
    After resetting my N7, the 4.4.2 update went fine. Rerooted, adjusted allllll my little settings and everything is fine. Now I am updating my N5 and got the same old android finger bricking my N5. Now I have to go and redo that. Luckily, I had my N5 synced up to the newly updated N7. So now at least I can sync back from N7 to N5 for most of my local settings.

16. walpow

walpow Well-Known Member

There is neither rhyme nor reason to how this (or any other) update works on various people's Nexus 7s. I'm rooted with TWRP. The notice for the 4.4.2 OTA came, I told it to go ahead, it ran straight through and I'm still rooted.

17. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

I suspect it depends very much on which version you were using before the OTA; 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 is tiny and probably changes only a few files, but updates from earlier versions are much bigger and (presumably) far more intricate.

That said there will always be oddball failures when the target isn't quite what the update script expected.

18. walpow

walpow Well-Known Member

John Bean, you're probably right about the magnitude of the update. I went from 4.4 to 4.4.2 with no trouble, but 4.3.whatever to 4.4 was, while not quite a nightmare, a bad dream.

19. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

I think Google learned a lot from the 4.3 to 4.4 update; it completely wrecked my N4 but after a brief chat to Google they very promptly replaced it (in under 24 hours!) at no cost to me. There was no attempt to weasel their way out of the failure even though I told them up front that it was both unlocked and rooted before the OTA broke it.

I got the distinct impression from the guy I spoke to that he had been through this exact same process quite a few times before speaking to me. I wouldn't be surprised if some heads have rolled over that OTA fiasco.

Hmm. I wonder how many N4 units are still in stock for warranty claims like mine? They must be running low on them by now...

Anyway it was a blessing in disguise; the GPS on the replacement is much more sensitive than the original - and a weak GPS was the only disappointment with the N4 over my old Motorola Milestone. Not any more :)

20. am_beagle

am_beagle Newbie

after 4.4.2 can not use MX Player anymore......hic hic....

21. mmoy

mmoy Well-Known Member

Why is that? MX Player is my main video player.

22. pdc95

pdc95 Lurker

Same here says unsupported android version ?

23. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

Yes, we'll have to wait for an update from the developer. The update to 4.4 broke MX player until the developer updated it; this time he seems to be a bit over-cautious with the version number checks.

24. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

My update went fine. The only issue I have is my Mx player as described above. It did unroot me and remove my twrp but I was back in business in less than 5 minutes.

25. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

Still no ART.... :(