• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got the Inspire - What next ?

hdavuluri

May 23, 2011
Hi,

I just got my first smartphone, the Inspire 4G (free upgrade). So, can you tell me what are the first things I should do with it? I have just started going through the enormous database of tips here.

Also, sorry for the barrage of questions, but your thoughts on any of them (or just links that answer them) would be most welcome.

What are the essential apps needed?

How do I turn off the 3G / 4G or give priority to Wi-Fi?

Anything I can do to extend the battery?

I got the phone, parly for its 8MP camera. Any good camera/picture apps in android?

Are any other accessories required?

Any other thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks and glad to be part of the community!!

It's just going to take you playing with the phone to get the settings that are good for you.

You can leave WiFi on and that way whenever you are in a WiFi area it will alert you to WiFi being available and you can switch to that or like me I leave WiFi on at my house once its connected to my router and I turn WiFi on or off it will automatically reconnect to my router. Also to keep WiFi on and not turning off when the phone goes to sleep do this, menu-settings-wireless & networks-WiFi settings-menu-advance-WiFi sleep policy-never.

Try juice defender app, you can tweak it to your liking to help with battery life. My husband has really fused with his settings and doesn't use juice defender and can get 15hrs of use before having to charge

I use an app called widgetsoid to create my own power control/shortcuts widget. Allowing me to turn on/off data, WiFi, Bluetooth, gps, control volume or whatever else I choose. Up to 10 items/apps per widget. I also use an app called shush so when I turn my ringer off I can place it on a timer to turn back on great for going to the movies meetings or classes

I like the vignette camera app, there is a free demo in the market. And if you got the update that allows non market apps get the amazon app store, vignette is only $2 there versus $4 in the Android market. To check if you got the update, menu-settings-applications-unknown sources (check this box). This update is automatically pushed to the phone so if you don't have it there yet eventually you will nothing you can do but wait really.

I also wasn't a fan of the stock text and email apps. I use k-9for my email and handcent sms for texting (similar apps are go sms and chomp sms)

Also get astro file manager this will help you find things stored on your sd card easier and move stuff around from folder to folder if you need to.

For wallpapers and ringtones try the zedge app

I would suggest a car charger of course. And a case is going to depend on your style. The TPU cases are decent for $7. http://androidforums.com/inspire-4g...-cases-dont-collect-lint-when-put-pocket.html

Upvote 0
Juice defender takes some playing with to get used to it and putting the settings where you want. I find myself using the widgetsoid app over juice defender. The main thing that is going to suck the life out of your battery is screen brightness so you will atleast want a widget that you can tap to easily change the brightness without having to go thru a bunch of menus. Other things are bluetooth, gps, I think I also read that leaving wifi in uses more battery but mine is on all the time.

If you are on a limited data plan you might want to consider setting all the sync apps like facebook, email, weather (anything that pulls data from the internet) to either manual sync or every few hours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones