• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got the LG Optimus S

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I went to Radio Shack and got the LG Optimus S, for free, with my Premier upgrade today.

First impressions - this is an awesome little phone. Speedy, easy to use, and feels very solid.

I'll post more impressions later. But even compared to my Evo and Epic, this phone does not suck. And you can't beat free, especially considering I paid $180 for my Moment last year after a $100 mail in rebate. :eek:

One quick question - for those who have this phone, how did the SD card adapter come in the box?

The Radio Shack person opened the box for me, and took out the phone (out of the plastic bag), and the SD card adapter seemed to be laying underdeath the phone... is that how it's supposed to come??

I went to radio shack today to check out the phone, they pulled one out of the box so I could check out the screen. The SD card adapter was sitting under the phone just as you described.

I was also impressed with the phone. Really solid feel in the hand, nice size.

I'm waiting to hear what real world reports are for battery life, signal reception and phone sound quality. I've currently got a Droid X so I'm curious how you adjust to the screen size difference as well.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
@androidspcs- wow, you weren't kidding around about using your upgrade on this phone today. i recommended this to friend and they also got it today. they brought it over straight from BB (got them to price matched RS) and i installed a couple of other keyboards for them to try out. i didn't see a little plastic bag for the adapter, so looks like they just threw it in the box. definitely a great entry level (almost could be mid-range) android device.

@apindel - my friend said the call sound quality was really good from both parties.

Upvote 0
@badankles - lol even I was surprised that I walked out the store with it! But the phone sold itself, the physical build is excellent, and the software experience is just perfect. And who could argue with $0? :)

It's charging right now, but I need to root it so I can install wireless tether and shootme to capture screen shots. But it is a sweet little phone and I'm digging it for now! And the stock Android keyboard needs to be replaced with another keyboard for sure...will be doing that shortly!!

Upvote 0
I went to Radio Shack and got the LG Optimus S, for free, with my Premier upgrade today.

Did you have a coupon or have to haggle or anything for this free upgrade? I was at Radio Shack last night, and the lady said that the phone was free with a new 2 year contract, but upgrades on existing lines were $50. My Moment will be a year old on December 2nd and unless something great comes out now and then, I'm looking at this phone.

Upvote 0
Did you have a coupon or have to haggle or anything for this free upgrade? I was at Radio Shack last night, and the lady said that the phone was free with a new 2 year contract, but upgrades on existing lines were $50. My Moment will be a year old on December 2nd and unless something great comes out now and then, I'm looking at this phone.

Print out the coupon from Radio Shacks Facebook. I didn't have the printout but I showed him on my phone. It's the last day of the promo and I was the first one to use it in that store. If they still give you a hard time then tell them it's under current promotions. I got my Optimus S for free! :)

Upvote 0
The signal reception on this phone far surpasses the reception I got on my Moment. I am consistently getting 3G in places where my Moment would switch me to 1rx about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. Battery life is slightly better so far in my experience, but I am constantly fiddling around with phone and app settings to see if I can improve it.

Upvote 0
@badankles - lol even I was surprised that I walked out the store with it! But the phone sold itself, the physical build is excellent, and the software experience is just perfect. And who could argue with $0? :)

It's charging right now, but I need to root it so I can install wireless tether and shootme to capture screen shots. But it is a sweet little phone and I'm digging it for now! And the stock Android keyboard needs to be replaced with another keyboard for sure...will be doing that shortly!!

where did you get to? i posted a couple of threads on rooting and tethering fyi. i want to install the multitouch kb from the x, but i would have to replace the stock with it and i'm a little skittish about that.

Upvote 0

the moment 2 is coming out next month if you like that phone. it is going to have the same 800 processor i don't know about internal memory but it is supposed to be comparable to the optimus

Upvote 0
the moment 2 is coming out next month if you like that phone. it is going to have the same 800 processor i don't know about internal memory but it is supposed to be comparable to the optimus
What? Are you talking about the Intercept? That and the Transform are the only phones I know being referred to as "Moment 2".

Or are you talking about a brand new phone? If so do you have a link?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm using LG ally and interested in switching to Vortex (Verizon version of LG Optimus phone) mainly because ally seems to be stuck with android 2.1 forever. It's also a little unstable when pushed hard on web surfing, videos.
My only concern for vortex is its HVGA (480X320) screen resolution compared to Ally's WVGA (800X480). I believe Optimus S has nearly the same spec. So do you feel that Optimus S screen is ok for web, video, pictures, and not too pixelated?

Upvote 0
What? Are you talking about the Intercept? That and the Transform are the only phones I know being referred to as "Moment 2".

Or are you talking about a brand new phone? If so do you have a link?

go to xda's website and browse under new phones and you will see the new moment. i just saw a pic of it i believe on pcmag.com it doesn't have a keyboard like the other pic i saw and it looks just like the moment.the display is real good on the moment. i don't see how they could make it any better except more memory

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones