1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Just got the NC today...wow

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ChiweN, Dec 26, 2011.

1. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Gonna try to make a long story short..

For Xmas my mother in-law bought me a pandigital novel. Nice gesture, crappy 'tablet'. I knew I was going to return it but was on the fence on what to get. Choices were kindle fire, nook color or nook tablet.

Decided ultimately to get the nook color, mainly because the kindle fire lacks onboard memory expansion, and the nook tablet has a locked bootloader. I know the guys will find a way around that but I didn't want to wait, and to be honest didn't feel it was worth an extra 50 bucks.(17 month old son over here lol)

I'm extremely happy with my decision. I got home, charged the unit and downloaded cm7.1 and setup my bootable clockwork recovery while I waited. Within 15 minutes of it being charged I had the stock rom backed up, cm7.1 installed along with gapps, overclocked @ 1.2ghz and was downloading apps from the market.

This thing is definitely adequate and snappy enough. Plenty of power here once overclocked. Also, I installed cyanogen internally. I don't understand why people are installing and running it from the sdcard, its so much faster from internal memory. If you are worried about voiding the warranty, its extremely easy to put the NC back to stock..

Ok, story wasn't that short, but I thought I'd share. This is my first tablet and I'm very excited, as I'm sure everyone here can understand ;)

Manny

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

B&N subscriptions and enhanced content are the main reason to stay with stock. If you don't care about B&N content, there's no other reason, really.

I get a free online subscription to Wired Magazine to go with my paper subscription, for example. You can only view Wired (and Conde Nast pubs) on a 1.4.1+ Nook Color. Be aware that the B&N Android app is nothing like the stock ROM, at least not today.

3. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Hmm, I suppose so. I don't use any of the b&n services so it didn't really bother me to overwrite the internal.

You could just dual boot the internal emmc, that would give you the best of both worlds, and alot faster than running from the card I'd think.

4. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

I haven't done any formal tests, but performance on CM off of SD is good. I've not seen any perceptable degradation compared to CM on eMMC. A lot has to do with the type of card (SanDisk 8 G class 4, in my case).

It's not ideal, but I'm mostly buying time until I decide how to handle my subscriptions. I am hoping the B&N Android apps gets update, at which point, all my problems are solved. Then I'll go back to CM on eMMC and forget this nonsense. Running off of SD is definitely less flexible. At that point, there will truly be no reason to bother with stock.