• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got the Verizon OTA .

Yeah, I just got it too. Started at 4:39am CDT and took about 5 minutes. The mute icon was present in the notification bar after the update but a tap on the volume button erased it. Other than that, a very uneventful update. I'm still stock. No root, unlock, etc. I'm in Nashville, TN if anyone's trying to figure the rollout.

Attachments

• 2012-09-15 04.45.58.png
    2012-09-15 04.45.58.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Here's the Verizon update info. Not too exciting.. but at least it means we're one step closer to JB:
http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/galaxy_s3.pdf

I'm looking forward to Google voice search and having brightness control in the pulldown menu. Maybe also some added smoothness & speed (not that it's not pretty good already).

It won't add any of the other features of JB, but Elixir 2 allows you to add a brightness widget (and other things) to the notifications/status bar area. It doesn't add a slider, but lets you toggle between preset levels including auto brightness.

Upvote 0
ok this might sound dumb but what is universal search? i got the update and it seems all my search options are still there...so i don't know what you guys are talking about when you say it's gone. Can somebody explain universal search to me? where is it located? how do you get to it. i still have search in my contacts and when i hold in the menu button so i have no idea what universal search is

Upvote 0
ok this might sound dumb but what is universal search? i got the update and it seems all my search options are still there...so i don't know what you guys are talking about when you say it's gone. Can somebody explain universal search to me? where is it located? how do you get to it. i still have search in my contacts and when i hold in the menu button so i have no idea what universal search is

You know how on a Windows PC, you can type something into the bottom of the START menu and it searches your files and email for something? Or on a Mac you can click on the cute magnifying glass and do the same? Or in Outlook, it can show all of your email, appointments, contacts one search screen? It "universally" searches the machine. Some bozo at the patents office gave Apple a patent on doing this on your phone. I think Blackberry was doing it before Apple anyway.

So now when you type something in your google search bar on your phone, it will only search the web. Not on your phone. Type a name, you won't get the emails on your phone with that name anymore.

I hate Apple but I hate the patent system even more.

Upvote 0
Probably. Rooting itself probably won't cause a failure, but if you froze certain bloatware, running a custom ROM, or themed parts of the OS (changed icons, colors, etc) it will cause a failure.

i defrosted all the bloat, not running a custom and not running any themed parts. and it still fails. when the download reboots the phone it goes into CWM recovery and asks if i want to install the unknown zip, then i say yes to install then it aborts the install and fails.

Upvote 0
i defrosted all the bloat, not running a custom and not running any themed parts. and it still fails. when the download reboots the phone it goes into CWM recovery and asks if i want to install the unknown zip, then i say yes to install then it aborts the install and fails.

Make sure your phone is not plugged into a computer via usb.

Upvote 0
The subject message just popped up on my S3 this morning. The update is 30.7mb. Anyone installed this update and if so did you notice any issues/problems?

Just curious..

I merged your topic into this previously announced topic so that you can review the information already posted. Thanks for understanding!

Upvote 0
Looks like you might be lucky it failed. Apparently the update defeats the bootloader unlock options. I was thinking about root and unlock, guess I'll have to wait till they find a workaround for this update.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...t/617630-verizon-forced-update-i535vrlg7.html

Is it safe to assume that if one has no clue about this "Bootloader unlock" stuff and has no interest in rooting their device, we need not worry about this with the update ?.

Just curious

Upvote 0
Updating now, so we have the option to control display brightness in the pull down menu? That would be clutch because I always end up going into settings, it would be a lot more convenient for me when using this phone!

Anybody know? What exactly was changed? I know people have links but lets hear from the users

Upvote 0
Just downloaded the upgrade and it is currently installing. The update says it takes about 4 minutes to install and while it is going on your phone is not usable. After downloading, you have the choice of installing or defering the install. If choose install, you get a flashy intro just before the actual upgrade and it goes though my apps claiming to "optimize".

Upvote 0

Greetings steve,

I don't know if your still having issues, but the reason your failing the update is because you have a custom recovery installed (CWM).

If your determined to install the update, you have to return your phone to stock in order for the update to work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones