1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Tips Just got the Xperia Play, looking to tune it

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SpawnHyuuga, Feb 2, 2013.

1. SpawnHyuuga

SpawnHyuuga Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    United States
    I just picked myself up an AT&T Sony-Ericsson Xperia Play (R800AT) and it's running Android 2.3.3.

I'm not a total n00b to Android OS as I also have a Samsung Admire from MetroPCS that I rooted and flashed a custom ROM to. It's my understanding that the Xperia Play is much different though.

- Bootloader
    Do I need to unlock this? If so, how do I do it?

- Rooting
    Will I have to use the Zerg Rush for this? I have the Android SDK installed on my primary computer, and I have Sony's Companion software as well. Both USB Debugging and Outside Sources are enabled. Where exactly do I find the right ADB drivers as I'm not sure whether I have them or not?

It's my understanding that the Zerg Rush exploit will not work on this phone at all. I've heard some people say I have to pay to unlock the bootloader or I can go about it myself but I haven't turned up much yet. I'm fairly confident in my skills but I really don't want to end up with a useless brick. I've heard some people say to upgrade to ICS and then use a flashable ZIP - how would I go about that method?

- ROM
    Any and all recommendations. I was thinking CyanogenMod if it maintains the Play's functions, but I wasn't fully sure yet.

Advertisement