• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just have to verify...

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
I am Definitely finished with Sprint, so while some may say Tmobile is NOT Verizon (I dont know, maybe there are somewhere some people who don't worship Verizon) I am back with Tmobile

As far as getting my new phone, I need one now, I really don't wanna wait for 3-4 months, til the end of the year for a new phone. The only big phones I hear coming out are:

1) some Motorola brand droid, has 8gb camera, prolly more for the camera type of functions, but less than a 1gb processor

OR

2) a dual core :) One but they don't know when it is coming out

SO, to get to the long and short of it

If I want the best phone, android based, with Tmobilel:

THEN, it has to be the Samsung Vibrant, right

If I am not a fan of the front camera, the only negatives will be (and they are things I desire) are:

1. No Flash (will only be a problem at night or indoors, like at a bar at night)
2. I don't know if it has the voice to text or voice to email (someone said if it is Android 2.1 or later it supports this . Correct)
3. Even tho Droid is by Google, it has google maps, etc, but it has NO free Navigation correct? (IF not, what is the best and cheapest...the 9.99 version that Telenav put on the Blackberry?)

Other than that, this phone looks phenomenal

I think number 2 and 3 above are virtually solved by paying money and because it is version 2.1 if I am correct.

1) Correct
2) It's an Android thing, no problem there.
3) Good Question. Did Samsung/T-Mobile replace the google stuff with Bing stuff? I think it might have Bing navigation. If so, can Google navigation be added? I'd have to imagine someone's going to port the google navigation even if it's not available in market.

Yes, if you are married to T-Mobile and want a phone soon, I don't think there's another phone in their lineup that's even close to this.

Upvote 0
Lex, AGAIN, u are a savior for newbies like me who have anxiety about which phone to buy and have literally have been all over the place. Thanks. I don't quite understand what u mean about bing and google

I know bing. that would mean their Nav is free?
As far as google, Did all the ones with Google have free Nav. I know the Google N1 did, and I had the EVO for a week, it did, right? but the Incredible was Google based and had the maps to map it out, but the voice nav, did it have that

So the Bing, if it has that. Is that voice, and would that be free
And if so, and I ported over Google, are ported over things free?

For whoever is reading. I do love phones and have a base knowledge. NOT Like you. But I read, read (red) and see the things comingn out. I see that the Vibrant is NOT gonna have the flash and then the people griping over no front camera

Well, two things ..(at least LOL)
1. I signed up for Qik. It was supposed to be free. Then they made this list of things that would be free, then the rest premium for $5 a month. quite pricey for people not working, or maybe for anyone for that matter ESPECIALLY when they can't clearly explain AND you don't know in the beginning how often u will be using it

2. There is FRING, which I cancelled. I tried once on my N1, not sure how it worked. But considering I will have a bigger screen and I MAY wanna try it AND save five dollars I could get this again

THUS, the front camera becomes pointless, I can flip around and use the back one, right LEX and others?

3. Also, My biggest dislike is Why no flash AND why would they even consider putting a phone together of this caliber, with others of theirs out there with one. I thought, still no def answer, maybe to provide competition.

BUT, this is what I wrote I hope others see that I read somewhere...

a) HTC makes excellent phones, thus the HTC Evo and Nexus One....top of the line.

b) Then they make , I believe, or use some high end screens, AMOLED.
BUT with the Samsung, they make, CORRECT, the TOP OF THE LINE, HIGH END SCREENS, Super Amoled (This Borders,Rivals, Surpasses or at least equals the iPhone 4 screen, correct)

AND finally, with respect to the flash...

c) They make Superior cameras to HTC and most Droid phones we are talking about. Thus the camera will be better on the EVO, the Nexus, the X, the Incredible, The Dell , The Acer, the Sony Erickson...

SO, a Samsung phone with a Samsung Camera camera WITHOUT a flash will be better than most of those phones with a camera by their very own maker or another inferior maker WITH a camera. Besides Are all pics taken at night outside or at night in a bar or club, etc...

The person who put that together gets A for thought. It may not be totally correct. But in a lot of ways it is. And it at least puts my mind at ease, anothe way of saying to me what we are all told daily that ,for another year or so, these super phones are all a feature or two very close to each other

I DO think that the Sammy Vibrant is BEAUTIFUL . THE Nexus one is a SUPERB phone....Beautiful..NOT by a long shot. But the Sammy looks , prolly not by accident LOL like an ipone 4

I will like for awhile. May get sick of comments There will prolly be themes out there wont there. I love themes that change the clock etc but I never found ones that change the icons on the droids like I did my Blackberries for ten years

before I sign off. I look forward to g etting one or two for my partner. the rep said she thinks they may do it because stores can do more, but it may even be official, are they gonna be BOGO???

Lastly, will they have cases. NEVER like to NOT have a case day one
Seidio is where I usually go
I am sure there are other head cases like me who have been looking into, anyone fouond a great link

Lex, u are a god for spending ur time to helping us less fortunate than u. and I am. I am on disability for some health issues. had cancer, etc

thanks
Eric(if u get lapses of thought all over the place, thats why)

Upvote 0
before I sign off. I look forward to g etting one or two for my partner. the rep said she thinks they may do it because stores can do more, but it may even be official, are they gonna be BOGO???

I am sure there are other head cases like me who have been looking into, anyone fouond a great link

i went to Tmo today to ask if this phone was going to be BOGO because if so i was going to pick it up on day one and one for the fiance but she said "no it will not be BOGO. they usually wait a few weeks to give the BOGO offer to new phones but no words on when or if this phone will be BOGO"

as far as the cases go im sure there will be plenty of cases for this phone as it is the most like the euro and asain versions of the SGS and my bet is any case that will fit those will fit the vibrant. and im sure with a phone this big tmo and other companies will make cases for it.

as for the google thing as far as i have seen everything is google not bing on this phone so that means google nav etc. im prolly going to wait a few weeks after it comes out to see if there are any major complaints with it or anything like that and if not ill pick one up. i love my G1 and it still works just fine but it has gotten really outdated and time for something new and im with you i dont want to wait till nov but if i have to i guess thats what i will do.

best of luck with you choice!

Upvote 0
Lex, AGAIN, u are a savior for newbies like me who have anxiety about which phone to buy and have literally have been all over the place. Thanks. I don't quite understand what u mean about bing and google

I know bing. that would mean their Nav is free?

As far as google, Did all the ones with Google have free Nav. I know the Google N1 did, and I had the EVO for a week, it did, right? but the Incredible was Google based and had the maps to map it out, but the voice nav, did it have that

So the Bing, if it has that. Is that voice, and would that be free

And if so, and I ported over Google, are ported over things free?

For whoever is reading. I do love phones and have a base knowledge. NOT Like you. But I read, read (red) and see the things comingn out. I see that the Vibrant is NOT gonna have the flash and then the people griping over no front camera

Well, two things ..(at least LOL)

1. I signed up for Qik. It was supposed to be free. Then they made this list of things that would be free, then the rest premium for $5 a month. quite pricey for people not working, or maybe for anyone for that matter ESPECIALLY when they can't clearly explain AND you don't know in the beginning how often u will be using it

2. There is FRING, which I cancelled. I tried once on my N1, not sure how it worked. But considering I will have a bigger screen and I MAY wanna try it AND save five dollars I could get this again

THUS, the front camera becomes pointless, I can flip around and use the back one, right LEX and others?

3. Also, My biggest dislike is Why no flash AND why would they even consider putting a phone together of this caliber, with others of theirs out there with one. I thought, still no def answer, maybe to provide competition.

BUT, this is what I wrote I hope others see that I read somewhere...

a) HTC makes excellent phones, thus the HTC Evo and Nexus One....top of the line.

b) Then they make , I believe, or use some high end screens, AMOLED.

BUT with the Samsung, they make, CORRECT, the TOP OF THE LINE, HIGH END SCREENS, Super Amoled (This Borders,Rivals, Surpasses or at least equals the iPhone 4 screen, correct)

AND finally, with respect to the flash...

c) They make Superior cameras to HTC and most Droid phones we are talking about. Thus the camera will be better on the EVO, the Nexus, the X, the Incredible, The Dell , The Acer, the Sony Erickson...

SO, a Samsung phone with a Samsung Camera camera WITHOUT a flash will be better than most of those phones with a camera by their very own maker or another inferior maker WITH a camera. Besides Are all pics taken at night outside or at night in a bar or club, etc...

The person who put that together gets A for thought. It may not be totally correct. But in a lot of ways it is. And it at least puts my mind at ease, anothe way of saying to me what we are all told daily that ,for another year or so, these super phones are all a feature or two very close to each other

I DO think that the Sammy Vibrant is BEAUTIFUL . THE Nexus one is a SUPERB phone....Beautiful..NOT by a long shot. But the Sammy looks , prolly not by accident LOL like an ipone 4

I will like for awhile. May get sick of comments There will prolly be themes out there wont there. I love themes that change the clock etc but I never found ones that change the icons on the droids like I did my Blackberries for ten years

Lex, u are a god for spending ur time to helping us less fortunate than u. and I am. I am on disability for some health issues. had cancer, etc

thanks

Eric(if u get lapses of thought all over the place, thats why)

1. I assume your just stating your opinion.
2. I don't remember ever reading that Fring has a paid service, it's all free unless they changed it recently. Yes, you can use the back camera with Fring although You don't know if they are seeing your whole face unless you're using a mirror on the other end.
3. Because T-Mobile wanted a bigger internal storage for the phone. I say this because T-Mo/At&t has no flash with 16gb internal storage while Sprint/Verizon has a 1 or 2gb internal storage with flash. There must have been some type of hardware design that would not allow both to be on the phone. Remember, the original SGS was the thinnest phone on the market when it was first announced and they probably want to keep it thin and have to sacrifice some features. This is just my opinion.

As far as I'm aware, HTC does not make any screens. At least for the amoled versions. Samsung is the main manufacturer for all types of amoled screens that are out on the market today, and most of the other screens also. I believe they also manufactured the retina display for apple.

There is a video posted on youtube by someone who used the original Galaxy S phone and recorded most of the recent press conference that Samsung had last week or two. It was dark, like a club per say, and the video was fine. So I assume it'll be fine with pictures too. There are some night pictures over at XDA posted by a person with the original SGS. Overall, I doubt a flash is needed for this phone unless you wanted to use it as a flashlight.

Upvote 0
DKYang, Thanks for your reply

1. No, I did not mean, "my opinion," or IMHO. What I stated, as is usually the case is what I hear or read to be true.

Qik is, as of a date this week or next, supposed to lose some of its regular features to premium ones. And these premium ones will immediately cost $5 per month.

2 I don't think I said Fring had a "paid" service or at least one that you were mandated to take. If I did, Please accept my apology.

3. What I meant by including "screens" in the same sentence with HTC was their use of screens, not their making of screens.

4. That was simply my question, was why the other two big companies of the 3 (not including Sprint that in this ad I mention leaving), as in Tmo and ATT , would not have a flash. I don't have an answer, but the reasons you gave seem to be the most logical..thanks...as far as hardware.

However, I did read that the phone has something to do with it.
Galaxy S: Samsung Captivate vs Fascinate vs EPIC 4G vs Vibrant [VIDEO] | Android Phone Fans

I believe this is still on "leave messages when someone replies" if you are a mod reading this. thanks

Upvote 0
I am Definitely finished with Sprint, so while some may say Tmobile is NOT Verizon (I dont know, maybe there are somewhere some people who don't worship Verizon) I am back with Tmobile

As far as getting my new phone, I need one now, I really don't wanna wait for 3-4 months, til the end of the year for a new phone. The only big phones I hear coming out are:

1) some Motorola brand droid, has 8gb camera, prolly more for the camera type of functions, but less than a 1gb processor

OR

2) a dual core :) One but they don't know when it is coming out

SO, to get to the long and short of it

If I want the best phone, android based, with Tmobilel:

THEN, it has to be the Samsung Vibrant, right

If I am not a fan of the front camera, the only negatives will be (and they are things I desire) are:

1. No Flash (will only be a problem at night or indoors, like at a bar at night)
2. I don't know if it has the voice to text or voice to email (someone said if it is Android 2.1 or later it supports this . Correct)
3. Even tho Droid is by Google, it has google maps, etc, but it has NO free Navigation correct? (IF not, what is the best and cheapest...the 9.99 version that Telenav put on the Blackberry?)

Other than that, this phone looks phenomenal

I think number 2 and 3 above are virtually solved by paying money and because it is version 2.1 if I am correct.

I'm not sure if someone already answered your questions or not. If you buy the vibrant, since it is an Android 2.1 device, you can go to Android App Market, download the latest google maps/navigation for free. It will give you voice turn by turn directions in real time, all for free, no monthly access either.

Keep in mind the vibrant does not have an LED indicator, meaning if your phone is on silent, and you want to know about incoming texts, calls, or whatever... there is no flashing indicator LED to let you know.

Also no flash for the camera, but you already knew that.

How long did you leave t-mobile to go to sprint? why did you come back to t-mobile?
I left sprint...came back to t-mobile also. but I'm considering getting the droid x, and leaving t-mobile. The rate plan for me with discounts comes out to be the same, and verizon has coverage everywhere.

Reactions: eric0668
Upvote 0
thank you for your kind message and concern that my I got help. I genuinely felt like u wanted to

I do wanna get the Samsung. For the the biggest things are the lack of flash, no front camera and that I heard it was plastcky

Well, I quickly thought, the week I had the EVO, I tried the video call, then realize that it was a novelty and would prbably not use again. I didn't really think about not having a LED message indicator, BUT I do check my NOTIFICATIONS, as they call them on a droid, on the pull down, as I lol "TRAINED" an older friend of mine, to pull down the pull down and check for messages.

Lastly, as for the camera flash, I though that would be the largest issue, but, they asked would I rather have a great phone with a decent camera with a flash OR a phone with a excellent camera with NO flash but they know how to make up for it in their camera quality

So I leaned to the Vibrant
I don't think u were trying to talk me out of it. I thought I meantoned I Really don't have a lot of choice

for me, it is coming back to tmo where I pay $49 plus $34.99 - $5 graduate disc from TSU, turns out be be $88

IN MY AREA, VErizon is the highest. It wouuld be , unlimited for me which is what I need $90 plus $30 = $120 plus tax. There is no discount for me with them. plus t ax

Verizon was the only viable option but I quickly realized why I had left them, why my friend left them, etc

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones