• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help just jumped ship from blackberry..few questions about new phone

Like the title says... This is my first Android device ever. Been a dedicated blackberry user... But I do love this device but have a few questions and concerns....

1. My battery life is TERRIBLE WiFi is off as is Bluetooth... Suggestions? Even after a few minutes of useage its at 95....

2. Software. I'm running what it came out of the box with... How often is new software added? If so will an alert pop up or should I register so that happens? What's the latest software out?

3. I've Googled how to do this but no luck getting it to work... I'm trying to add my yahoo to the mail app. Even changing it to Asia did no good...

Is there a way to merge all the email inboxes into one?

4. Facebook, mine won't let me look at notifications or anything... It's the Facebook that came with the phone... Does it notify you when someone msgs or writes on your wall??

5. Best apps to install? Any must haves that make the experience easier and better?

6. Any way to get different styles of keyboards??

I think that's all haha

Thanks

1. It hasn't actually lost 5% in just a few minutes. When you plug the phone in to charge, it charges up to 100%, then stops charging and cycles down to 90%, then starts charging again. When you first take it off the charger it says 100%, but it's not actually there. After you use it for a few mintues, the correct battery level is displayed.

2. When and what you get in terms of software relies on your carrier if your phone is branded. If it's unbranded, you will get updates from HTC as HTC rolls them out (currently on 2.2). If it's branded, you will get it if and when your carrier rolls it out.

3. Not sure, sorry

4. Go to the Market and download Facebook for Android. It will update the version your phone shipped with and you should then be able to set and see notifications

5. 3g Watchdog is handy to tell you how much data you have left, I also love Astrid as a task scheduler and 3banana for a note taker.

6. Download them. For example, SlideIT is available on the market (there's a free demo), or you can sign up for the Swype beta on their site. After you install it, you might need to long press on the text input window and select the new keyboard as your input method.

Upvote 0
Battery life gets better once the battery has been through a few cycles. Its still not amazing when compared to less powerful phones, 2 days of good use is about tops, but then you wont find another phone with a 1GHz processor over 500MB ram and a 3.5"+ phone that can out perform it by a considerable amount anyway tbh.

Best way to make sure battery waste is at a minimum is to adjust the auto synch apps, that is turn them off if you dont need them...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones