• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sincere11105

Nov 23, 2009
I was an iPhone user since 2009. I just made the switch to Android with the note 2. All I have to say is why did I wait so long. I love this. I do have a question. I have it for sprint. Does any one know how to change the notification icons? For instance, I would like to add airplane mode up there and remove power saver.

^^ are you doing this from the quick notifications menu?

Swipe down from the phone (top to bottom) your quick access will pop up.. then swipe Left and you will see the other functions.

Yes. I see 10 functions in total. Airplane mode is not one of them. If it's not possible is ok since this is more than what iphone was able to do without a jailbreak

Upvote 0
screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-29-00.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-29-00.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-28-49.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-28-49.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
Important thing to mention, what provider?

All of the US domestic providers have managed to switch which toggles are shown at the top.

On my International version, which I updated to 4.1.2 a couple weeks ago, can change which toggles show on the quick settings menu.

On my Sprint version, it definitely has different toggles than ATT and I'd suspect they're different from Verizon.

So, that said, please be sure to mention which provider and version of the Note 2 you have when inquiring. You'll get a more accurate answer.

Upvote 0
I thought I mentioned it in my original post. I have Sprint

My bad...just saw that. Airplane mode is not one of the toggles, but...if Sprint allows for the change of notification toggles, once they release 4.1.2, you'll have the ability to change those.

If you want to temporarily add some notification toggles, I actually use Widgetsoid for some apps that I want toggles on for 3rd party apps. It works great for my needs, so you may want to check that out. You can customize the colors to match (as closely as possible) the Samsung toggles.

So, to answer your question (bottom line), no...you can't currently change the OEM toggles on the Sprint version of the Note 2. If you want to get to Airplane mode quickly, just hold down the power button and there's a selection for Airplane mode.

Upvote 0
My bad...just saw that. Airplane mode is not one of the toggles, but...if Sprint allows for the change of notification toggles, once they release 4.1.2, you'll have the ability to change those.

If you want to temporarily add some notification toggles, I actually use Widgetsoid for some apps that I want toggles on for 3rd party apps. It works great for my needs, so you may want to check that out. You can customize the colors to match (as closely as possible) the Samsung toggles.

So, to answer your question (bottom line), no...you can't currently change the OEM toggles on the Sprint version of the Note 2. If you want to get to Airplane mode quickly, just hold down the power button and there's a selection for Airplane mode.

Thanks. I didn't realize that it was in the power menu. That's not too bad. Why do carriers have the day on updates. I guess I'm used to Apple where everyone gets it once it's released

Upvote 0
Thanks. I didn't realize that it was in the power menu. That's not too bad. Why do carriers have the day on updates. I guess I'm used to Apple where everyone gets it once it's released

Main reason is because Apple prevents that from happening, whereas Google has more of an open agreement with the providers to have more input into what goes on the phone and also allows the providers to add certain software elements.

There was an article the other day about an activist that is trying to get the government involved to force providers to be less restrictive on Android updates, so the manufacturers and Google can push out updates faster. It's also a big reason that many Android enthusiasts prefer the Nexus phones over others, since Nexus phones are controlled more by Google.

Upvote 0
Main reason is because Apple prevents that from happening, whereas Google has more of an open agreement with the providers to have more input into what goes on the phone and also allows the providers to add certain software elements.

There was an article the other day about an activist that is trying to get the government involved to force providers to be less restrictive on Android updates, so the manufacturers and Google can push out updates faster. It's also a big reason that many Android enthusiasts prefer the Nexus phones over others, since Nexus phones are controlled more by Google.

I'd have to take a Look at that Article l think Carriers should be less restrictive when it comes to updating devices.

Upvote 0
I'd have to take a Look at that Article l think Carriers should be less restrictive when it comes to updating devices.

Yeah, it's a tradeoff. The manufacturers play a part as well, since Android is an open system and iOS is not. The manufacturers add software components onto Android, to distinguish themselves, but when connecting to Android updates, they might even have tweaks prior to the providers having their input.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with this, but I'll stick with less-than-ideal updates if it means I get $400 off on the cost of the phone!! So worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones