1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Just making sure

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iheartboobies, Sep 9, 2011.

1. iheartboobies

iheartboobies Newbie
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    I've been wanting/needing to root my Thunderbolt since release but I just haven't done it yet..but I'm planning on doing it today. I've had 2 rooted phones before(so I'm not a TOTAL n00b), but I've never flashed a custom rom or anything. Just to actually have full access of my phone & get rid of bloatware.
    Just wondering if I root my TB & never have a custom rom/kernel, anything, can I still download OTA updates/ Gingerbread? I'm sure the answer is everywhere on here but I just want to really make sure because if I messed up my TB I'd probably sh*t my pants for all of eternity.
    I will be using the easy root method this evening. Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    you can still accept OTAs if you reinstall the stock recovery after flashing superuser in a custom recovery. after the OTA,youll need to reinstall a custom recovery,then reflash superuserm,as the OTA will break root.

the great thing about rooting with revolutionary is that it will permanently stay s-off,so youll always be able to install a recovery and root,no matter what you do.

recoveries are available here: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/399960-radios-recoveries-hboot.html

they are installed in hboot by renaming PG05IMG.

id suggest also checking out this thread,lots of info on flashing roms,flashing in hboot,etc.: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/353591-how-some-root-terminology.html