• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just ordered my first smartphone! Some questions

Eckyx

Sep 11, 2010
Just picked up a 2nd-hand Droid off ebay, I'm really excited, never had a smartphone before. I have a friend who has been filling me in on details, but there are a few questions he can't answer.

The main one: I am on a family plan w/o data, there is no chance of me getting data, and I'd rather not have another bill (poor college student), I bought the phone mainly as a toy, for the camera / audio / video / gps / apps / wifi web browsing.

My old phone is a Rumor 2 (sprint), and from what I've read, the Droid is hardware compatible with Sprint's network, but it's required that you have a dataplan to connect a smartphone to it. Is there any way for me to just replace my old phone entirely, and connect my Droid to the sprint network, without a dataplan?

If not, does the cellphone antenna turn itself off (save battery) by itself, or do I have to do this manually?

I've also read a bit about undervolting the processor, to increase battery life, do you think it's worthwhile to try? I'm not going to be playing many (any?) games, so if I can downclock the gpu maybe, that would be good too.

He gave me a list of basic apps as well, but I'm happy to take suggestions. Is the stock media player good for mp3s, or does anyone have a 3rd-party preference? What's a good weather app that does not run in the background? Etc.

Thanks!

It technically can work on Sprint but you're going to have a real hard time getting them to activate it for you. You have to mess around and discover some settings in the phone and then go to a Sprint store where I don't think they'll be too happy to put a Verizon phone on their account. It's not even guaranteed to work well, or even at all. You can turn the antenna off by going into airplane mode but it doesn't do it automatically. You can have it in airplane mode and still use wifi if you want to do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones