• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

just ordered my mytouch. very happy

TurTLe*

Lurker
Sep 22, 2009
I just placed an upgrade order for my touch, i'm very happy i got it for $100 but a little sad i have to wait a week.

I've been googling all week about this phone. Made the move and now i'm just stacking things up to do with it.

first things first, i'm going to root it. i saw a great video by the unlockr online. 2nd thing is to get the new keyboard. i forgot what site i found it on to get a better more accurate keyboard. if you guys can link me to that would be great. otherwise i'll find it once i get the phone.

after that i'm kinda stumped. maybe i should just start enjoying the phone like how i enjoyed my iphone. 1 thing i really want is the tether this to my dell mini9. What would be the best program for this? a lot of people are doing bluetooth connection but i dont have a BT chip on my mini9. So most likely USB cable or make it emit wifi signal. not sure which is faster.

Any must have apps? Looks like i need linda file reader or something. I'll get my facebook, panadora and NFL/NBA app when the time comes.

first things first, i'm going to root it. i saw a great video by the unlockr online. 2nd thing is to get the new keyboard. i forgot what site i found it on to get a better more accurate keyboard. if you guys can link me to that would be great. otherwise i'll find it once i get the phone.

If you use the CyanogenMod Rom it comes with a new keyboard that is much better than the default keyboard.

As far as some good apps go I would check out these ones, they are my personal favorites:
StatusNotes - To-do list in status bar
Babbler - Facebook
CM Updater - CyanogenMod Updater
FML Widget - FML: Your everyday life stories feed widget
Taskiller - kill running tasks to make your phone run smoother
Twidroid - Twitter
Ringdroid - Slice your MP3's for use as Ringtones
Barcode Scanner - Scan barcodes & QR Codes

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is normally part of the 'rooting' process, but I've read you really need to partition your SD card correctly take advantage of the built-in Apps2SD feature in Cyanogen's ROM. I'm sure the process is documented somewhere, but I'm not sure where....

Have fun. I almost bought a My Touch a month ago (my kid's soccer game got in the way of that impulse buy). I'm now gonna wait (and the waiting is killing me) 'till Xmas before I make the switch. By, then, I'll get a look at the CLIQ, Sprint's Hero and maybe a Verizon phone. Even so, I still might end up with the My Touch.

Upvote 0
I would really be careful when rooting your phone. Doing so will void your warranty and extended warranty.

i didn't opt for the extended warranty. these phones are $300 on ebay. $139 for the replacement phone + the extra fees tmobile wants and at $5.99/month. all in all thats about $300+ after 2 years. your only limited to one handset replacement per calendar year. so 365days after the first one, so your only allowed to get one phone pretty much. Thats the key thing 2 year warranty yes but one claim per 365 days.

the orginally warranty should be fine for me. thanks for the heads up. Has anyone really failed at rooting it?

I've done jailbreaking. I've done it many times on 5-7 handsets. I've had 2 brick on me at first but i just rebooted to stock firmware and then did it again. all is good then. Not sure of droid is like that.

i've been on Cyanogen's site. I've seen happy g1 users post they use their hacks. I didn't see a video guide on their site yet. So i'll just wait on that. looking up more things and terminology.

I'm pretty sure i got this right but i want to confirm. Rooting the phone can be done thru many diffrent steps. Cyanogens is a ROM that i can install after the phone has been rooted. so Cyanogens is not a form of rooting. there are some many ROMs and methods out there i'm lost in the shuffle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones