• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just picked one up...

Hupperware

Dec 3, 2009
Had a G1 from day 1, it got oil inside of it on Thanksgiving, touch screen stopped working. Girlfriend has a MyTouch. Friend has a Droid. Other friend works for Motorola and has a Cliq. That said, I know Android and this feels like Android Vista. It's protecting me from myself and I don't like it.

There is no way to turn off notifications for the stock email messages (god forbid I want to use a different SMS application).

The home screen is a mess with the stupid proprietary TouchWiz shortcuts. Of course no way to turn that off.

They've effectively hidden functionality to get this phone into the hands of the uninformed user.

Insert normal good stuff here -> The screen looks fantastic and the camera is great. Oh yeah the music player is second to none.

I want Android not Samdroid or Android Vista or some toned down version!

you can buy OpenHome or PandaHome (free)
both of these will get you back the G1 android 1.5 experiance.
hope this helps

I am one that likes the touchwiz better than android 1.5. (i Like 1.6 settings better than touchwiz).

now if/when we get android 2.0/2.1 i wonder is samsungs new touchwiz will improve on the "censored" android menu's

Upvote 0
I returned mine to T-Mobile, very nice phone I just cant deal with TouchWiz, if I wanted to be told how I can interact with my phone, I would have bought an iPhone, that said, I bought a MyTouch and couldn't be happier, of course the screen is LCD not OLED, not as much memory and the camera is only 3.2 megapixels, but I will deal with its short comings to have a better experience.

Android. Love it.

Upvote 0
why everyone hate touchwiz? its a shame you take something back because of one thing, thats why they have demo phone for you to play with before you buy them. next time play and explore a phone before buying one and then deciding to take it back cause of one little feature you don't like, i just think its a waste of your money and time

Upvote 0
why everyone hate touchwiz? its a shame you take something back because of one thing, thats why they have demo phone for you to play with before you buy them. next time play and explore a phone before buying one and then deciding to take it back cause of one little feature you don't like, i just think its a waste of your money and time

Touchwiz is not one little feature its a major rework of the interface just for the sake of being different, it doesn't enhance the phone, it slows it down and makes it laggy.

I dont hate the touchwiz, i dislike it as it reduces functionality. I did play with it at the store, it seemed i could get by so I bought it. thats why t-mobile has a buyers remorse period.

Upvote 0

They didn't have a demo phone at the store and if they did installing apps such as Handcent SMS wouldn't be possible. Therefore I wouldn't have even looked to turn off the notifications for the Samsung messaging app (doesn't even use the Android version).

The issue I have is the protection of the TouchWiz. Basically Samsung is telling you this is something you have to have. With an open platform like Android, I should have the choice. It's like UAC in Windows... fortunately they let you turn that off.

Upvote 0
well i don't know what you are talking about, but i use phones for talking texting and using apps. all the other stuff gets done on my laptop. :)

That's actually exactly what I'm talking about. Install a texting app (Handcent SMS, SMS Popup, etc.). Enjoy the dual notifications that Samsung has left you no ability to change. That goes against the open framework grain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones