• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just picked up my D3 - Quick SD card question

exzachtly1

Feb 7, 2010
Hi all,
I just picked up my D3 on my lunch break, and let me first say that this is a great phone! I'm loving it so far.

I am however having an issue that I can't figure out. I'm coming from the original Motorola Droid, and I had a bunch of apps installed on my SD card. Most of them were moved from internal storage to the card using the app "Apps 2 SD" (I believe this is a fairly popular app) at some point to free up space. I have swapped the SD card from the old phone to the new one, and now the apps that are on the card are not showing up on the D3.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Do I need to move some files around manually or something? I really want a couple of these apps back because some were obtained from 3rd party markets (GetJar, Amazon App Store) during promotions where they were giving away paid apps for free. Particularly, Cut the Rope and Peggle were both free on day 1 :)

I was thinking the same thing but, to be safe...I put copied all the info to my pc then formatted the card and then installed it in the D3. Also remember when you hook it up you will get two removable memory locations on the pc. One for the internal 16 gig and your sd card. I got a 32gig so total I have 48 gig of memory. I already have 30 gigs of software, movies and Music on it. :eek:)

Upvote 0
The problems is the D3 uses the internal space as the "sdcard", so apps look for the data there. All you should have to do is transfer your Droid's sd card to the internal storage and you should be set.

The real micro sdcard is used only for media. Nice set-up, since you can hotswap the card and not worry about app failures.

Added: You should not transfer your media to the internal space, unless of course you have room. Media can stay on the sd card. Apps will see the media with no problem.

Upvote 0
The problems is the D3 uses the internal space as the "sdcard", so apps look for the data there. All you should have to do is transfer your Droid's sd card to the internal storage and you should be set.

The real micro sdcard is used only for media. Nice set-up, since you can hotswap the card and not worry about app failures.

I have notifications and ringtones on it (which of course is media). I just wanted to mention that for those who might not be thinking of those as "media". I had a few set up on my original Droid that I didn't want to find again and I absolutely couldn't lose them. (One is the "Hello Moto" song that is my default ringtone. It still cracks me up every time I hear it.)

Upvote 0
I have notifications and ringtones on it (which of course is media). I just wanted to mention that for those who might not be thinking of those as "media". I had a few set up on my original Droid that I didn't want to find again and I absolutely couldn't lose them. (One is the "Hello Moto" song that is my default ringtone. It still cracks me up every time I hear it.)

Good point :)

Upvote 0
I would like to know the steps as well maybe this would help me get my notes back.

Just got the D3 and I want to transfer the notes from my D1 sd card to the D3. I can see them on the sd card, but when I go to the backup manager and click the 1 to backup and click on restore nothing happens. Any suggestions?

I've done a google search and can't find the answer there either.

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
I would like to know the steps as well maybe this would help me get my notes back.

Just got the D3 and I want to transfer the notes from my D1 sd card to the D3. I can see them on the sd card, but when I go to the backup manager and click the 1 to backup and click on restore nothing happens. Any suggestions?

I've done a google search and can't find the answer there either.

Thanks for any help.

Not sure if this will help, but I went into the Files app on the phone, and selected sd card, and longpress to bring up the option to copy, then navigated back to internal storage and pasted in the appropriate place.

Upvote 0
I guess I am not sure what to be doing here. On my og droid sd card i have apps and I have pictures/music etc. Should I be copying this to computer, re formatting card, copying just the music/media back, or do I just put the card as it is into droid 3. Also, do I need to tell camera to put pictures on 'external' sd card?

Upvote 0
Camera: yes, open your camera, hit settings button, then open the settings icon and 3rd option down is Storage Location, Internal or Sd card are your options.
It appears almost ALL default options of storage for the phone is set for INTERNAL STORAGE to the sd card on the phones circuit board and NOT the EXTERNAL sd card u insert/remove from the battery tray area.

Upvote 0

Added: You should not transfer your media to the internal space, unless of course you have room. Media can stay on the sd card. Apps will see the media with no problem.

So what is the best way to do this without moving everything? Should it be hooked to my computer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones