• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just picked up tonight and having issues

mrteeth

May 3, 2012
OK. I'm not new to the Note 10.1. I owned last years model, which I just gave to my wife.

I just picked up the 2014 model tonight. Within an hour after setting it up, I ran into 3 problems that I've noticed.

1. A pop up came up. I can't' recall the message. But it says "Check to not show it again". But I couldn't check the box. The thing was just frozen. I couldn't even turn the device off. Finally, I had to push power/volume down to reset it and start all over. Frustrating
2. I installed a thumb keyboard app but I couldn't get the notification swipe down to work. I've done two factory resets now and it's still the same. I swore earlier on, I got it to work. But now I can't.
3. I was posting a message to this forum, when all the sudden the device would black out. I had to push on the Power Button to turn it on again. When it came back on, the Google Now app was running. I had to close it to get back to what I was going.

Can anyone help?

Well after talking to the original owner, we figured out the problem. It was the case. Yes, the case. Someone gave him a cheap case that looks like the OEM case from last years model. But the case and it's magnet placement wreaked havoc on this tablet, causing it to shut down and the notification bar not to work.

Lesson learned. Not all cases will work. Some cases will actually cause the tablet to shut down among other weird behavior.

Upvote 0
Well after talking to the original owner, we figured out the problem. It was the case. Yes, the case. Someone gave him a cheap case that looks like the OEM case from last years model. But the case and it's magnet placement wreaked havoc on this tablet, causing it to shut down and the notification bar not to work.

Lesson learned. Not all cases will work. Some cases will actually cause the tablet to shut down among other weird behavior.

Why would anyone want to use a case?:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't you put a case on this? I would put a case on any tablet, including the Ipads.

That's why I think it's silly talking about aluminum bezels and how thin everything is. Put on a case and protect your investment.

I paid over $500 for this thing. I'm going to wrap it up. Getting a Poetic Slim case. Hopefully it doesn't give me fits like the other case.

Reactions: Peaches037
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones