• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just played with a G1

hah2110

Dec 25, 2008
So, although I have been following Android closely, I hadn't actually used a G1 until today. I am BLOWN away by the OS. I have a FUZE now and have had every other OS known to man (over 40 phones). My favorite OS is blackberry because of it's simplicity. Although it can do a lot, it still functions amazingly at what it is supposed to (a phone). I found the Android OS to be simple, fast and clean... Just as Google is known for. This makes me not able to wait even more for my Agora Pro!!! Does the phone every slow down? I heard that you can't close programs... Does that get annoying? What other big downsides are there?

Thanks!

Quick Question: With customizable widgets, can you put them all on the main home screen or do you have to use the full three screens (e.g. Search widget on the 3rd panel)?

Quick Question: With customizable widgets, can you put them all on the main home screen or do you have to use the full three screens (e.g. Search widget on the 3rd panel)?

You can put widgets on any of the three pages, or on none of the pages, whatever you like.

You can also create folders, say, a "Games" folder, and put icons of all of your games in that folder.

The only time I've noticed my G1 slowing down, in the two plus months I've had it, is when you leave one of the browsers (I use both the browser that comes with it, as well as Opera), and go to the home screen, it takes about two seconds or so for the page to refresh. Otherwise, it really is almost always VERY speedy.

Had much more noticable slowdowns with my previous BB Pearl.

Browser is also VERY stable... really NEVER crashes, which I hear is a problem on some iPhones.

Upvote 0
You can also create folders, say, a "Games" folder, and put icons of all of your games in that folder.

The only time I've noticed my G1 slowing down, in the two plus months I've had it, is when you leave one of the browsers (I use both the browser that comes with it, as well as Opera), and go to the home screen, it takes about two seconds or so for the page to refresh. Otherwise, it really is almost always VERY speedy.

Folders - to create, long click on a blank area of the screen and go under shortcut.

Speed to Home - with a lot of apps loaded up I have noticed that my "time to home" does take a few seconds. (long time)

Upvote 0
programs do close. as soon as you go to a different app or page, the program shuts down instantly. it saves a state of the program right before it exits, so as soon as u load the app again, it acts like you havent closed the page at all.. so technically yes, you cant close the apps.. because they autoclose everytime.

Upvote 0
programs do close. as soon as you go to a different app or page, the program shuts down instantly. it saves a state of the program right before it exits, so as soon as u load the app again, it acts like you havent closed the page at all.. so technically yes, you cant close the apps.. because they autoclose everytime.

Ever try the Google Reader Mobile (web vers). It always refreshes, when you re-open but only after a "time delay" will refresh. Meaning hop in and out, you're fine. Stay out for 5 min and it refreshes on you. Annoying.

There is the non-android mobile vers, which does save your state perm. but it also doesn't pop open the story/post like the nicer one does. Trade-offs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones