1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Just registered...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MikZ, Sep 22, 2011.

1. MikZ

MikZ Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    software engineer/humanitarian worker
    nomad
    G'day peeps,

I've signed up to scores of support forums over the years, but this is the first one that's made such a point of trying to build community, so I thought I'd post a hello message. This feels like the kind of introductory message I posted to BBSes in the 1980s, and my traditional username (or 'handle' as we old farts called them back then) is even still available. ;)

I was going to type 'my Android is not a big part of my life', but that's actually not true at all—it's just something I don't think about much, even though I use it constantly. I have what T-Mobile in the U.S. markets as a 'Samsung Vibrant', which in real life is a Galaxy S. Honestly, I hated it when I first got it, but I've been more pleased since updating to 2.2. Still, like all smartphones, it falls well short of the feature set I enjoyed with my Treo—I'm still angry that everyone dropped Palm O/S support when flashy but immature iPhones and wannabes came out. I tried Palm's new phone with Web O/S, and while I honestly like the interface of the thing more than Android, Android has a hundred times as many apps. (iPhone has more, but its UI is all over the place, and, well, Apple.)

Thanks for trying to build a community here. :)

Cheers,
    MikZ.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, MikZ.

Transition from one platform to another can be a learning experience as well as a disappointment sometimes. I think you will find that there are many ways to make your Vibrant more treo-like if you want, but I've found over the years it's best to train the user to use the phone as designed rather than the other way around.

Hope to see you around the forums. :)

3. MikZ

MikZ Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    software engineer/humanitarian worker
    nomad
    Thanks, lunatic59.

Point taken on learning a new platform, but I'm convinced there are a few features just plain missing. One big example: secure notes (or 'memos' as they were later called)—I'm using B-Folders as a workaround for that, but manual syncing is required and it's a pain in the bum to have to type a password every time. Maybe you know of something better that's still Linux compatible? I've done a lot of searching and haven't found it.

Another big one: the ability to record calls—I find myself fumbling for pen and paper when people give me confirmation numbers or operator IDs over the phone, like I did nearly 10 years ago, before I got a Palm O/S app for that—they say Android won't ever support that, and entering those as notes is too cumbersome, especially while I'm on the 'phone. The better browser and flashier UI don't make up for that, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
    MikZ.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure what functionality you are seeking with b-folders and how important encryption is for you so I really cant suggest an alternative.

As for recording calls, have you looked into Record My Call? I personally don't need it so I've never explored the possibilities.