• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just removed my screen protector.... WOW.

Ni Dieu Ni Maitre

Aug 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I just removed the screen protector that the Verizon guy put on for me 6 months ago. What a difference it makes. The display is absolutely stunning. I'm flabbergasted as to how good this phone looks with the cover off.

Do all screen protectors cause the display to look worse than it normally would? Or are there screen protectors out there that still let the display strut its stuff?

The screen protectors that are marketed through Verizon for DroidX leave a lot to be desired. They make the display of the X appear "grainy."

I think the ones sold at the Verizon stores are anti-glare. I think they make the displays slightly easier to see when outside in sunlight. I had one of those on my "X" for about 3-4 months. Then I bought and put on a Steinheil "Ultra Crystal" Clear. If I didn't know it was on my phone, I don't think I could tell the differnce between the phone having or not having a screen protector on it.

Upvote 0
The screen protectors that are marketed through Verizon for DroidX leave a lot to be desired. They make the display of the X appear "grainy."

I second that - I didn't quite appreciate how good the display was until I took off the Verizon store folks put on when I first bought it. I'm now using the one on my Otter Box alone and it looks great to me. I've looked at the displays on the DX2, Thunderbolt, Charge, and Revolution and my X here isn't as good as those, but it's quite good enough for me for me.

Regardless, there's any number of "clear" screen protectors and you don't necessarily need a brand name one to keep your screen from being scratched up. No matter how careful you are, it's cheaper to replace a scratched/ damaged screen protector that a damaged DX! (And yes, I know from personal experience)

Upvote 0
I think the reason people hate screen protectors is they get the Verizon one that is a matte finish and only covers part of the entire front screen.

Ebay ones are much more durable and less than $1 a piece. I think once you see a quality one you'll realize Verizon just sells crappy ones that they make a KILLER profit on.

Upvote 0
i have a clear face guard on my x and it looks just fine.

although my buddy had a weird grainy cover on his iphone and had to change it cuz it brought a tint to the screen.

yeah those are stupid.

btw, i bought a cheap .99 cent protector. i lol at the fools who spent more than that AND I GOT A THREE PACK.

i remember when the fool at the store tried to sell me the bundle of car charger, face guard, and phone protector for $45.

129483185165887890.gif

Upvote 0
Yeah I had the same reaction when I took mine off, didn't even see the phone "naked" when I bought it was such a frenzy (launch day). Decided to put a new one on, my old one was so scratched, took it off and bam! "So that's what its supposed to look like!" it was so much like a new phone I've kept it off ever since, soon will be getting an otter box, well some time. Until then enjoying how crisp the screen is, before - grainy, blurry, dull but it was glare free!.....:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I totally agree the VZW one is crap. The GF had been using those (she went thru a pile of DX's before going to the "fruit phone". I bought us a pair of ebay specials before we got our phones on launch day and Im still using mine. I couldnt tell you who made it but I can tell you it has served me well. There are a couple micro blems that dont amount to squat but I just might yank that sucker off just to see if im missing anything. my phone lives in a bodyglove case and it still looks out of the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones