1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Just rooted, a few questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jeremy1701, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jeremy1701

jeremy1701 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I just rooted using Ace HK. Super nice and very easy to use. I especially liked that I didn't loose all my settings and what not. I do have a few questions.

1. Can I remove Busybox Installer after I install it?
    2. Is it possible to 'dual-boot'? I'd like to try a few ROMs before I choose one
    3. Installing a new ROM wipes everything from your device?

Thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Android Enthusiast

I believe there is an app out there that will enable you to flash multiple ROMs and choose which one to load at boot. But if you're looking to test drive ROMs before you settle on one, the most common thing to do is just make a backup of your current ROM before you flash a new one. That way if you don't like the new one, just restore your backup. It takes less than 10 minutes to create or restore a backup.

Flashing a new ROM wipes the boot, system and data partitions of the internal memory. Flashing a ROM shouldn't affect anything on your SD card.

3. jeremy1701

Thanks sharkfan!
    I'm leaning towards the Android Revolution ROM. Titaniumbackup is what I'm using, is that sufficient to restore?

What about Busybox Installer... Can I remove that?

4. dots

dots Android Expert

Regarding wiping. You should wipe /data before flashing a new rom. Having app data from one rom to another can cause strange issues if /data is not wiped prior to flashing a new rom.

You can of course backup/restore app data wipe titanium backup. But if you restore app data to a new rom and start experienceing random issues. It's probably because of the restored app data.

jeremy1701 likes this.
  5. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Android Enthusiast

I'm referring to creating a backup of your entire ROM (creating a nandroid) via Recovery. This creates an image of each partition. When you restore, your phone is returned to the exact same state as when you created the backup. Same apps, same settings, same home screen layout. It's just good practice to create a nandroid every time you flash a ROM or mod. That way you can quickly get back to a working state if you have a bad flash or just don't like the changes you've made.

TiBackup can backup all of your apps (user & system) and data. However if you backup system apps & data in one ROM and then restore it to a different ROM, especially one that has a different framework, then you're going to run into problems. I highly recommend NOT doing a batch restore from TiBackup when you switch ROMs.

As for Busybox Installer, I'm not sure. You probably can. If you do and run into problems you can just download it again from the Market. But since you're going to be trying out different ROMs, don't worry so much about removing apps you think you won't use right now. Once you find a ROM you like then you can go about streamlining it. I've been running Android Revolution for over a month and it doesn't even have the Busybox Installer.

jeremy1701 likes this.
  6. jeremy1701

Excellent! Installed ClockworkMod Recovery and I'm making a nandroid right now. Might try Android Revolution later today.

7. jeremy1701

Android Revolution installed and working like a champ! GPS, Phone, Txt (bug fixed from the last Inspire update). Super sweet. I did loose my Widgetoids, but no worries. :p