1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Just Rooted, but nervous about the next steps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dfris2003, Feb 8, 2011.

1. dfris2003

dfris2003 Lurker

Hi all,

I just rooted my evo, with unrevoked 3, followed the for dummies guide. I used a mac and all went well.

Now I would like to try some custom roms, but im nervous about loosing the 4g keys, as well as not being able to go back to stock 2.2 if need be.

after reading the "dummies" guide, I seen there are a few ways to back up your phone. So I did a manual backup, on a spare 4g sd card that i had.

but then in the guide it states that you have to use the rom mananger to save the 4 g keys.

So what should i do now? Should i do a rom mananger backup as well? will it save on the same card? Should i use my 8g card, or will it work with the 4g card that i have?

I would like to be able to save my phones settings and the os 2.2 on the 4 g card with my 4g keys and just put that card up, so if i need to go back factory, I have a workable backup.

Thanks for your time.
    Daryl

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cjt20one

cjt20one Newbie

Just download ROM Manager and make a back up. :) It will save on the same card.

Doesn't the image back up in ClockworkRecovery also save the keys? I see something flashing on the screen about wimax keys during my backup process with CRM.

3. dfris2003

dfris2003 Lurker

So, I can put in my back up sd 4 gig card and download Rom Mananger, and it will save everything i need?

It will save my 4g keys, and OS? So if i ever need to go back to stock, i can put the backup sd card in and recover it just as it is now?

Thanks

4. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

Don't use ROM manager it is not as reliable as a manual backup, if you used the clockworkmod backup option your keys and your backup should be good. I though would recommend that you switch to Amon_RA recovery because it is more reliable than clockwork, but you can stay with what you have if you like. I would recommend keeping at least one backup on the SD card you use all the time. But as long as you did the NANDROID backup option your keys are safe and so is everything else.

5. Internetpilot

Internetpilot Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat as you just a few weeks ago. Don't worry -- it eventually all makes sense. You'll be a "pro" in no time!

If you followed the UnrEVOked process, then you did a nandroid backup and you therefore have your WiMax keys and your stock ROM backed up.

Again, if you followed the UnrEVOked process, the you used ClockworkMod for the recovery (backup). Another recovery (backup) option other than ClockworkMod is Amon_RA (frequently referred to as just "RA"). Like mentioned in the thread above, some feel Amon_RA is more reliable. They're both very similar in use. Both ClockworkMod and Amon_RA backup your WiMax keys. I think it's an option that you have to check with Amon_RA, but it can do it.

Everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the worst risk of losing the WiMax keys over after rooting? I mean, some ROMs don't have 4G implemented, but if the WiMax keys made it through the rooting, then you should be good.

I was using ROM Manager (which is just a front end for ClockworkMod), but had some problems with ROM Manager automatically upgrading ClockworkMod which in turn gave me some problems with my previous backups. ClockworkMod is really easy to use by itself (without ROM Manager), and Amon_RA is as well. You already used ClockworkMod "manually" (without ROM Manager) as part of UnrEVOked. I'm currently using both (my original stock ROM backup is in ClockworkMod, as well as a couple of other backups as well) and then my more recent backups are in Amon_RA with the idea of primarily using Amon_RA going forward. I'm not using ROM Manager at all anymore.

Did you test to see if your WiMax keys were still there? You can do this via an app called WiMax RSA Key Checker by Joey Krim, which is available in Market. That will give you the peace of mind that you haven't lost them as part of the rooting process.

Again, hang in there -- eventually it all starts making sense.

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Just a quick clarification for the OP - ROM manager is nothing more than a front end for Clockwork recovery. If you created a nandroid backup manually by rebooting into recovery, then you just did exactly what ROM manager would do, but you went through the steps yourself. It does the exact same thing. If you install ROM manager, just make sure you have at least Clockwork 2.6.0.1, and your wimax RSA keys will automatically be backed up as a part of the nandroid backup. As others have said, it's better to go to recovery manually, anyway, rather than use ROM manager. RA is also a good alternative. It's up to you if you want to use it.

As to your questions about using a different card and all that, it's probably better if you have at least one nandroid backup on your card or a card you can quickly switch in just in case you ever need it. Otherwise, if you have other nandroid backups, and you don't want them taking up space on your card, you can copy them to your computer. Just remember to copy everything in each directory for each backup. Clockwork backups will be in on the sdcard in a directory named Clockworkmod. In that directory will be the backup directory, with a directory for each backup under it. Copy those whole directories to move a backup elsewhere. That's probably better than switching sdcards every time you want to make a backup.

Also, in response to the likelihood of you losing your wimax keys, there's a slim chance of losing them during the rooting processes, but:

a) the unrevoked method, at least, is considered relatively safe, and is unlikely to cause any permanent damage.
    b) other methods that could cause such problems are fine as long as you read directions. Back when the newer Evos came out, and the partitions were different, some people lost their wimax keys because they used a version of Clockwork that was not compatible with their phones. It's not much of a concern now.

That being said, you're more likely to lose your wimax keys after rooting than during the rooting procedure. I don't mean to say that you're going to potentially lose your wimax keys every time you flash a ROM or mod (because you certainly won't by just flashing those normal things), but I'd say the most common way people lose wimax keys would be while flashing new radio versions. Just follow instructions carefully, use recovery versions that were intended to be used on your phone (and no others), and keep plenty of backups. You'll be fine if you do those things.

Internetpilot likes this.
  7. Internetpilot

Internetpilot Well-Known Member

I stand corrected on the timing of potentially losing WiMax keys. ! Thanks for clarifying that, Akazabam.

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Well, you are right in that you *could* lose your wimax keys while rooting. I'd just say that it's a little less likely with unrevoked than it is with other methods, plus the fact that you could lose them while doing other things such as radio updates, as I said. You certainly weren't wrong, though. It was more of a supplemental comment :).

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews