1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Just rooted. Data speeds +++

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yaken, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Yaken

Yaken Member

Getting 3.5 down now on 3G, and wifi gets real download speeds. Pretty smooth so far , but boy was it a pain in the butt

Advertisement

2. Chapp1e

Chapp1e Android Enthusiast

Did you have to install a custom Rom to get sound?

3. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

I thought there would be a more significant increase. Like in the 5-7 mbps range.

4. Yaken

Yaken Member

Yeah. Sound is fine now though. Also none of that garbage bloatware and tethering now

5. Yaken

Yaken Member

well i am only on 3g. You are not going to get 7megs down on 3g.

6. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast

Is a gold card required for rooting right now? Also how long did it take from start to finish and is it a permanent root?

7. Yaken

Yaken Member

Yes you need to use a gold card. That part took the longest as I made two on the inspire before giving up and using my aria to make the gold card. After that it is just a lot of command line stuff.

Root is perm.

8. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast

So you weren't able to make it on the Inspire?

9. Yaken

Yaken Member

No. it wasn't giving me the right CID. the inspire was just spitting out a random CID, the aria gave me the correct one though.

10. I'm waiting my phone is perfect for me as is. I don't need to go through the whole gold card hassle for data speeds that will eventually be here

mattbe213 likes this.
  11. Yaken

Yaken Member

Just ran another one. 4.5 down on 3G wow pretty quick

12. stancrazy

stancrazy Well-Known Member

I was getting over 3mp/s down and 360 up last night after 1am in atlanta without rooting.

But you are right, you are getting about the peak bandwith possible on a 3G signal (its usually half or less what the towers are set to which on standard 3g is 7.2).

Soon you will be getting in the 7mp/s to 10mp/s range when they switch the towers to 14.4. Frankly..im not convinced your root made the difference here....those look like regular speeds for a solid full 3G signal on this phone to me. (as i said, i was getting over 3mp/s last night from within a hotel room in atlanta without rooting...

13. Yaken

Yaken Member

Well I also just got 21 mbps on my WiFi speed test. Never been close to that before.

Never seen 4.5 megs down before unless on WiFi.

14. stancrazy

So it DID do something..... I am just not sure what...

I wonder if there is some kind of throttle function built in that locks it at a certain % of the total avail bandwith?

Help me out? What exactly are the technical specs of the settings before and after that change?

15. Yaken

Yaken Member

I dunno. But cell and WiFi data is much much quicker

16. mattbe213

mattbe213 Android Enthusiast

I personally don't plan on rooting until a goldvard is nit required. Partly because this is my first android device and I won't be risking my phone on a root that isn't officially girl the Inspire. Don't get me wrong, root is one of my top priorities, but I can wait a few...

Matt

17. Dude why are you having such a hard time spelling ?

loewendickr likes this.
  18. wacktool

wacktool Newbie

I root mine using attn's guide. WHat wifi app are you using, the built in wont work for me.

19. DJack

DJack Lurker

Can anyone tell me what is rooting and what do you get from it?

20. stancrazy

The phones come with a pre-set lock outs for features like deleting bloatware, changing network settings, tethering etc. They do this partly to keep you within their cookie cutter plan and user functions...and partly to keep you out of trouble by damaging the phone doing something boneheaded.

Rooting gives you superuser access to change such settings.

Once rooted you can change those settings and or install a custom rom.

21. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

your speeds are faster because HSUPA is enabled for you now. Any cap or throttle att had on your phone is now gone.

22. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

im not sure I understand how this is possible. I thought 'rooting' was gaining access to all aspects of your phone. Rooting, in and of itself, shouldn't be able to increase data speeds, or phone performance for that matter. It would seem that you need to adjust settings that are now available as a direct result of the root....

23. mattbe213

mattbe213 Android Enthusiast

I'm rooting later on when we don't need to make gold cards to root a phone this early on.

Matt

24. this is pretty much accurate you would have to change the modem or rom to see a difference in speed the rooting only allows you superuser access therefore it wouldnt change anything

25. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

no need to root for those speeds

Im getting 3-4Mbps

I actually just got 3.94Mbps as I typed this

im in the DFW area of texas