• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just rooted my Droid 3 what should i do next?

I used PetesmotorolaRoot to root my d3. I have never rooted any of my other phones and i have no idea what to do next or how to get roms. Any adviice will help. Thanks! & Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place on here, I just joined.

I would suggest "debloating" you phone to maximize battery life while still on the stock system. Check out the stickied threads above concerning rooting. They will tell you which apps are safe to remove from the phone. Head over to the Play Store and download Root Browser (or Root Explorer, which ever is free) and this will give you access to the "root" of the phone, its system files.

Before doing any of this though, I would download and install Hashcode's SafeStrap. Read here. -> How-To Safestrap Hash-of-Codes Boot into SafeStrap and use the volume keys to highlight Backup and Restore and then backup the phone. This can be used as an emergency restore point if you make a mistake. :)

install superuser if u havent got it yet.

SU should have been installed automatically by Pete's Rooting tool.

Reactions: Ally Cat
Upvote 0
Before doing any of this though, I would download and install Hashcode's SafeStrap. Read here. -> How-To Safestrap Hash-of-Codes Boot into SafeStrap and use the volume keys to highlight Backup and Restore and then backup the phone. This can be used as an emergency restore point if you make a mistake. :)

What is the difference between SafeStrap and ClockworkMod's "Droid 3 Recovery Bootstrap"? Seems I may have gotten the unpopular one (and paid for it to boot)....

Upvote 0
What is the difference between SafeStrap and ClockworkMod's "Droid 3 Recovery Bootstrap"? Seems I may have gotten the unpopular one (and paid for it to boot)....

SafeStrap allows you to run two ROMs and switch between the two in about 10-15 minutes depending upon how much data you have on the ROMs. Basically, it protects your stock ROM and boots a 2nd one from a faked secondary /system partition allowing you to experiment without the risk of bricking the phone since SafeStrap is installed to the original ROM and on the real /system partition.

If you flash a ROM that boot loops, you simply power down, power up, enter SafeStrap from its splash screen, and then flash a different ROM to the faked 2nd /system partition fixing the phone. I haven't managed to brick myself using SafeStrap, unlike my results with BootStrap.

Upvote 0
I have been running a stock rooted Droid3 with the Droid3 Bootstrap Recovery since I got my Droid3 last fall. I am thinking Safestrap would be great to have so I can try a ROM and still have my stock ROM easily available if needed.

Can I download Safestrap while I have the "Droid3 Bootstrap" installed and then "uninstall Droid3 Bootstrap" or do I need to uninstall that first, and if so, will it affect the root programs that are installed on my phone?

Upvote 0
I have been running a stock rooted Droid3 with the Droid3 Bootstrap Recovery since I got my Droid3 last fall. I am thinking Safestrap would be great to have so I can try a ROM and still have my stock ROM easily available if needed.

Can I download Safestrap while I have the "Droid3 Bootstrap" installed and then "uninstall Droid3 Bootstrap" or do I need to uninstall that first, and if so, will it affect the root programs that are installed on my phone?

I am pretty sure that as long as the old bootstrap is removed before you install safestrap and restart the phone you will be ok. You can definitely download and even install safestrap - you just have to remove the old bootstrap before you tap the button to install the recovery from the safestrap app and then restart the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones