• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just rooted my Droid Incredible

sray0805

Lurker
Oct 29, 2010
I rooted my Droid incredible 2 days ago so bare with me as I am still trying to understand all this new terminology and get the fullest use out of my phone. I was wondering about Kernals, overclocking and underclocking. I would like to increase my battery life as we all know how crappy it can be under normal use. I am running Skyraider 3.3 now because I enjoy the stock look of the HTC sense and I am using ADW.launcher as well. I downloaded a kernal for Skyraider but I can't tell what the speeds are and change them up. I saw a program called setcpu for rooted users on the market. Anyone have any experience with this app and is it worth the money? I am not wanting to slow down the performance of my phone but I still want to be able to have a good battery life. Anyone have any suggestions for a kernal to use or anyone using setcpu have a suggestions for a good speed to use. Thanks in advance!

Welcome. While I can give some suggestions, there's really no way for anyone to tell you which kernel will work best for you. Every phone performs slightly different, so you really just have to try things for yourself and decide which gives you what you are looking for.

SetCPU is *the* tool to monitor/OC/UC your CPU. It is very much worth the price if you plan to setup any profiles. I personally like using a screen off profile to underclock the cpu when I'm not actively using it. This generally gives you a significant power savings if you leave your display off for long periods of time. That said, I'm not using it at all right now, because I'm running the latest HTC kernel that was leaked last week, and getting about the same battery life as I was using the king BFS kernels & adrynalyne's kernel I had been previously using.

Upvote 0
So how exactly does one go about installing a kernal? I have found some in the rom manager but they don't seem to give me control, they are just preloaded kernals. Thanks for all the help guys!

You install a kernal like you install a rom except you don't wipe (well, some devs recommend going into advanced in recovery and doing a dalvik wipe) when installing. I'm not sure what you mean by "control." Loading a kernal should not make your phone look or act differently other than batter performance changes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones