1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Just rooted my Galaxy Prevail, what now?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JaisMommy09, Jan 14, 2012.

1. JaisMommy09

JaisMommy09 Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi, I just rooted my Prevail, mainly so I can use the Screen Shot app :) With my phone being rooted, now what I can I do with my phone that I couldn't without root? I want to delete the factory apps that are built in when I bought it, can I do that with root? Please HELP! Thank you.:D

Advertisement

2. txwolf1980

txwolf1980 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Guess
    Wherever my 18 wheels take me
    Yes, you can do that. Essentially, root gives you the ability to do anything you want, provided the software/apps and firmware exist.
    For removing bloatware, get a file browser from market (I like root explorer - paid - rom toolbox - paid or free, and it's an all in one. But, be careful doing some of the stuff on there - and es file explorer - free)
    When dealing with system apps, I'd MOVE them to your sd card, one at a time, over the course of a couple of days, to be sure that there is no adverse effects on your phone. That removes them from system, so your phone won't see them.

Before you do anything, I'd read. A LOT. get a version of clockwork mod recovery (CWM) on your phone, if available, and do a nandroid back up.

The sky is now the limit. But, be careful what you do.

3. mecam77

mecam77 Newbie
    None

May 26, 2012
    social work
    north jersey
    Hi, I got into the forums to learn how to root my new Prevail from Boost due to too much bloatware (is this the correct term???)

So defienetly not techy and had my nephew help me root with the wonderful step-by-step directions given on this forum by Caeadas (excellent)...

now need help using the new format so nothing from factory settings remianed. Was under the impression that i would remove on my own what i did not want

and now i cant send pictures via text and how do i replace swype and what other should i get to maximize my phone usage

thanks for any advice

4. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    You can find out how to root your Prevail here,
    Galaxy Prevail - All Things Root
    but first do your research about rooting and rooting your device before attempting it.
    While it can be fairly easy to root your device, you can still run the risk of bricking (breaking) your device. When you root or even attempt it you void your warranty, so once something goes wrong when and after rooting you're on your own.
    So to avoid that, it's always best to do your homework before rooting always. :)
    No other rooting method will work with your device except the one specifically for your device.