• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just rooted w/o unlocking bootloader, what's next?

Hello Everyone, and thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions,

So, since I've got the Verizon version of this phone (Xperia Play R800x) the 2.3.4 update has not been released for me yet. All I want to do is update the phone to the stock 2.3.4. This is now my 4th handset because when I put it on the charger it goes into docking mode and will only come out (sometimes) if I turn off/back on. I figure it's a software issue which is why I wanna see if the new update will fix it.

I rooted my phone last night w/o unlocking the bootloader using this (Unlock Root 2.2): http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/144864#144864 It worked just fine and I got the Superuser installed. Then I downloaded the stock 2.3.4 ROM .zip file from sonyericsson.com, I have yet to install, a few questions:
1. ROM Manger/CWR isn't compatible with the Play to do a nandroid backup, I used AstroFile for the apps. Since I just want to go to an updated stock ROM do I really need to worry about doing a complete ROM backup?
2. I checked out this link Main: Xperia Play 2.3.4 minor update 4.0.2.A.0.62 to manually update which involves UNlocking the bootloader, can I still use this method even though I'm not unlocked?
3. Do I have to install a flash tool to install the .zip ROM file once it's on the SD's root folder? Or can I just use a file manager/installer? (I've seen it mentioned on this forum & others but with no explanation how to do it.)
4. What app do I need/how can I delete stock ROM files once I get updated?
5. And is there anything else I need to do/know that you would recommend with a rooted phone?
Sorry if this seems UBER noob-ie, it is... First time I've ever tried something like this. Hell, I'll admit it, it's actually my first smartphone ever... :D

First off, DON'T UPDATE YOUR R800X TO 2.3.4. YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE. PERIOD.

Hello Everyone, and thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions,

So, since I've got the Verizon version of this phone (Xperia Play R800x) the 2.3.4 update has not been released for me yet. All I want to do is update the phone to the stock 2.3.4. This is now my 4th handset because when I put it on the charger it goes into docking mode and will only come out (sometimes) if I turn off/back on. I figure it's a software issue which is why I wanna see if the new update will fix it.

The best way to get it outta dock mode is to:
1) unplug your power
2) unplug your headphones jack
3) plug in your headphones jack
4) wait for the little headphones symbol to appear
5) unplug your headphones jack
6) Tada! Dock mode off again
(No, I don't know of a permanent way to disable dock mode, but this method is better than getting a new phone 4 times :p )

I rooted my phone last night w/o unlocking the bootloader using this (Unlock Root 2.2): http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/144864#144864 It worked just fine and I got the Superuser installed. Then I downloaded the stock 2.3.4 ROM .zip file from sonyericsson.com, I have yet to install, a few questions:
1. ROM Manger/CWR isn't compatible with the Play to do a nandroid backup, I used AstroFile for the apps. Since I just want to go to an updated stock ROM do I really need to worry about doing a complete ROM backup?

As mentioned before THIS UPDATE WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE IF YOU FIND SOMEWAY TO UPDATE TO IT. PERIOD. IT'S NOT MADE FOR THE R800x

If you really want clockwork recovery mod on your phone, go here: xda-developers - View Single Post - Recovery for locked bootloaders!!!!!

They have a way to install cwm onto phones with a locked bootloader and make nandroid backups (and there are a few ROMs based off the stock kernels you can install)

2. I checked out this link Main: Xperia Play 2.3.4 minor update 4.0.2.A.0.62 to manually update which involves UNlocking the bootloader, can I still use this method even though I'm not unlocked?

Once again, don't do it, it's a trap.
If you want your bootloader unlocked, you need to pay for it (the payment covers the operating costs of unlocking bootloaders)

3. Do I have to install a flash tool to install the .zip ROM file once it's on the SD's root folder? Or can I just use a file manager/installer? (I've seen it mentioned on this forum & others but with no explanation how to do it.)

... ...
Ok, so here's how it works
Flashtool is a windows (java based) program which allows users of the Sony Ericsson Xperia line phones to install a signed update file to their phone. It works completely off windows, so there is no need to have the file on your phone.

Once again, tho, if you want to keep your phone from becoming a paperweight, DON'T UPDATE TO 2.3.4 UNTIL VERIZON RELEASES THEIR VERSION (which most likely will include the patch for the current method used for rooting)

4. What app do I need/how can I delete stock ROM files once I get updated?

Stock ROM files get automatically written over, you don't have to worry about them.

5. And is there anything else I need to do/know that you would recommend with a rooted phone?

Free:
1) Titanium backup (because it can backup the data included with your app, not just the app itself) (also a paid option, but i don't remeber what the differences are between paid and free)
2) Adfree (if you've ever played with adblock plus for firefox/chrome, this does the same thing... to in app ads as well)
3) A script manager and v6 supercharger (v6 supercharger is a script which helps optimize ram link: [Script][U9 RC4!] ALL WHEEL DRIVE -=V6 SuperCharger=- FIX RAM & Launchers, 3G & KAK! - xda-developers . Read before you install, it might be over your head, but the more you can learn what it does, the more it'll help you understand your phone)
4) No frills CPU (This program will let you underclock (while you're on stock kernel) which helps improve battery life (completely optional, of course))
Paid:
1) Dual mount sd widget (do you ever want to be able to do stuff on your phone while it's transferring files to your computer? I know I do, and this is a godsend. Now I can do whatever I want on my phone, because the sdcard is never unmounted :p )

Sorry if this seems UBER noob-ie, it is... First time I've ever tried something like this. Hell, I'll admit it, it's actually my first smartphone ever... :D

Well then good sir, welcome to android. I'm sure you'll have fun, and this is a great forum to learn more about your phone!

If you need anymore help, post a reply in this thread and i'll answer when i have time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones