1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Just rooted, what next?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fyrmd, Jun 4, 2011.

1. fyrmd

fyrmd Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    I got scarred off of the GB update by some of the user comments, and decided to root my phone instead. I used Z4 root and then installed Titanium Backup to freeze some unused apps. Is there anything else I need to do if my main goal is just better battery life and smoother operation?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Well I would have to say, and this is just my opinion, if you want better performance then Gingerbread is the way to go. Battery life is based on what you do with your phone. What apps you use most, things running in the background, etc.

Don't be scared away from Gingerbread because of what you hear. Most of what you hear about Gingerbread is it's inability to be rooted. But if you download and flash one of the GB releases from Team Black Hat you will not have that issue because they are already rooted.

I'm assuming you are still running the stock Froyo (2.3.340) correct? If that is the case all you would need to do to upgrade to Gingerbread is first, unfreeze the bloat you froze. Keep your phone rooted with z4root and install Droid 2 bootstrap.

Follow method two and download the two files for flashing. here is the link,
    Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

Place the two files on your sd card and load up bootstrap and click on "bootstrap recovery" then click on "reboot recovery". This will load you into the clockwork recovery menu. select "install zip from sd card" then "choose zip from sd card"

select the first file for flashing and flash it. Once done go back by hitting the back button on your phone and select the second file and flash it. Do NOT leave recovery before you flash both files. Once this is done again hit the back button to get back to the main window and click on "wipe data/factory reset".

This is a step you would do after you rebooted the phone because 9 times out of 10 you would bootloap and/or get stuck at the "M" logo. This is normal though. That is why you do the factory reset. but i like to do it before i leave clockwork recovery because I know chances are it's going to bootloop so I get it out of the way.

This seams complicated but I assure you it is not. If you have any other questions come on in and ask. We are here to help.

NOTE: Keep in mind this process is based on your phone being completely stock Froyo. Meaning no apps have been removed and the phone is in the same condition it was when you first got it. Being rooted is necessary and unfreezing the apps you froze is necessary. Some say it is not necessary to unfreeze bloat if you're flashing but i don't like to take the chance. Also make sure your battery is fully charged before you start.

P1DroidX and fyrmd like this.
  3. fyrmd

fyrmd Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    Thanks for the great information! I am stock froyo other than the frozen apps, so this should work for me!

4. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Yes. Just thaw out your frozen apps and follow the directions I gave you for flashing the 2 files and you should be running GB within 10 minutes. Also, just so you know, if you cannot make/receive calls and do not get a 3g signal you will have to dial *228 to reactivate your phone. Best of luck and let us know how everything goes. And of course if you have any issues come in and get our help.

5. fyrmd

fyrmd Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    I was able to load GB with no issues. I downloaded Tibackup to restore my settings and it does not show up in the app drawer. Did I somehow unroot my phone in the process? Please help!

6. KX4SAM

KX4SAM Well-Known Member
    None

May 18, 2010
    Electronic Repair
    Summerville, SC
    Which apps did you "keep" frozen and run OK?

I am stock froyo also, just rooted with Z4root, and did a complete backup.

7. P1DroidX

P1DroidX Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    hey cougar214 thanks for your posting man, but select took me forever to figure out that the camera shutter big red button was select, i tried menu, home and power they all put the screen to sleep, i rebooted and could not figure it out, finally in rage squeezed my phone and hit the red button and something happened and figured it out!