• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just rooted...

sx4dude2013

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2010
Georgia
Hey yall. I just rooted my phone using zr4root.apk...whatever its called. Very easy. I then allowed USB debugging. Allow android to install 3rd party apps. Installed Superuser. And then installed wireless tether. Now what? I would like to make the phone faster without messing anything up? What would u do nxt....i like easy stuff. IM A NOT A COMPUTER/PROGRAMER?!?!

Thanks. Will verizon kno im rooted if i ever send it in for service? How do i know if im rooted (i am cause im using wireless thether but does it say anywhere)?
IM A NOOB :(

If Wireless Tether is working, then you are rooted. Wireless Tether will only work on rooted phones. Other options for speeding up your phone would be to install a different ROM. Some have a lot of the bloatware removed and speed things up nicely. The best one for noob's is Apex 1.3.1. Other good ones are DarkSlide 4.2 and Liberty 1.0 (soon to be Liberty 1.5).

Before you load a new ROM...read...read...read and make sure you feel comfortable about doing it before you doing it.

If you just rooted, then the most important thing I could tell you would be make a complete backup using Droid X Bootstrap Recovery. Install Titanium Pro (purchased app, but best money you will ever spend) and then back up ALL of your system data, apps, and app data. There is a free version of Titanium, but it has few options. With the Pro version you can restore a single app or all of your apps. This way if you do decide to install a new ROM and don't like it then you can always get back to your stock ROM setup of how things were right after you rooted.

Follow this link to a thread I started and it covers a lot of what you are asking http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/258395-best-backup-use-before-rooting.html

Upvote 0
If Wireless Tether is working, then you are rooted. Wireless Tether will only work on rooted phones. Other options for speeding up your phone would be to install a different ROM. Some have a lot of the bloatware removed and speed things up nicely. The best one for noob's is Apex 1.3.1. Other good ones are DarkSlide 4.2 and Liberty 1.0 (soon to be Liberty 1.5).

Before you load a new ROM...read...read...read and make sure you feel comfortable about doing it before you doing it.

If you just rooted, then the most important thing I could tell you would be make a complete backup using Droid X Bootstrap Recovery. Install Titanium Pro (purchased app, but best money you will ever spend) and then back up ALL of your system data, apps, and app data. There is a free version of Titanium, but it has few options. With the Pro version you can restore a single app or all of your apps. This way if you do decide to install a new ROM and don't like it then you can always get back to your stock ROM setup of how things were right after you rooted.

Follow this link to a thread I started and it covers a lot of what you are asking http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/258395-best-backup-use-before-rooting.html

Thanks.
Im currently backing up using titanium. Then ill install Bootstrap. everything will be backed up correct. I want liberty....how do I go about getting it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones