• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just saw a reference to Swype being avail for the Droid?

It would be nice to keep the voice key available. But if I really liked Swype it would not be a deal killer. The voice to text only works for me about 50% of the time.. or I have to go back and correct it. I work in a noisy inviroment so that affects it.

Yeah, noise levels are a big reason why I only use it half the time (well that and if I happen to be in a work environment). It works amazingly well when I'm at home, but not so much when I'm out at a bar/in the city/etc.

Upvote 0
Yeah, noise levels are a big reason why I only use it half the time (well that and if I happen to be in a work environment). It works amazingly well when I'm at home, but not so much when I'm out at a bar/in the city/etc.

If you use Handcent, then voice to text is a menu option. If not, then you could simply switch your input method back to the Android keyboard when you're at home.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help.. Got it installed.
The Voice icon is gone on it..but as I said I did not use it much anyway.
It works good, gonna take some getting used to. I like it a lot more in Landscape mode... in portrait I can't see the key I am aiming for.. fingers are too big. I guess I would eventually memorize where they are like with typing. But it seems to be faster to me in general.
Also I have a problem with my right thumb knuckle occatioanlly locking up when I use the android virtual keyboard, Swype lets me use either hand to type, or any finger I want, and it seems to alleviate the problem with my right knuckle too. BONUS!!

Thanks again for all the help.

Upvote 0
Don't know what I'm missing here....
I downloaded the .apk
Have installed it via Astro.
Swype appears in my app list (settings>applications), but I'm not sure how to activate it.
Any one?
Thanks in advance.

Settings>Language & Keyboards, check Swype. Then long-press in any text box, select "input method" and select Swype.

Reactions: audio2u
Upvote 0
You're welcome. I would highly recommend the tutorial to be found under Swype settings in Settings>Language & Keyboards, and also check out the tips and tricks at swype.com. It will save you a lot of time.

By the way, thank you for providing that link in a previous thread where you came to everyone's rescue. The link you provided is the real deal, and I have not had any issue with Swype now whatsoever after downloading the file from the link you referenced. Previously, I did a Google search and I found the file from a different source, but something must have been corrupted, which is why I had so many problems at first. I'm glad this one works perfectly!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones