1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Just Seeking Confirmation...TIA

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by rootabaga, Sep 6, 2016.

1. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

Aug 11, 2014
    More or less IT, lots of hand-holding
    Crazyville, CA
    Friday night, naturally before the long weekend (at least here in the states), the rooted LG (F3 on Virgin Mobile) starts acting up, with the phone process crashing. After a couple of reboots I update the PRL and profile and it's then working fine...for a little while. Same thing happens again, when I try to restart it freezes early in the boot process, nothing happening except the the power button led cycling through the colors. No change in subsequent reboots and no time to deal with it, but Saturday night I'm able to play with it a little.

I find that if I remove the SIM card, it will come up fine, though with obviously limited functionality. SIM installed= frozen boot, each time, SIM removed= boots fine, each time. (We can now all shake our heads and cluck our tongues about the complete lack of meaningful support one ever gets from VM...haha).

With that bit of detective work, my conclusion is that the SIM must have flaked, so that's when I discover there's no store into which I can walk and buy a new SIM, I have to order it.

I'm not worried about dropping a few dollars on a SIM, but having to wait yet a few more days is irritating, so I'm just floating the idea to make sure I'm not chasing a red herring. Waiting several more days to find there's a deeper issue that could trigger me having to buy another phone isn't my path of choice right now, largely due to the delay(neither is just buying a new phone).

So for those of you more knowledgeable than me on SIM-enabled Android devices, I'm just seeking confirmation that the odds are overwhelming that replacing the SIM is the solution. ;)

My humble thanks for any insight you may have.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Well if the presence of the SIM causes the crash that's the obvious explanation, and the simplest or cheapest. Since CDMA handsets only use the SIM for LTE one could imagine some other fault where attempting to connect to LTE causes a crash, and the SIM is implicated only because without it it won't try to connect, or even that the SIM reader is faulty but only causes problems when it has something to read, but the SIM itself being faulty does sound more likely.

The particular symptom I've not encountered myself. My experience is that a faulty SIM usually causes a loss of connection, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of more drastic effects.

badcatz and Jfalls63 like this.
  3. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

Aug 11, 2014
    Crazyville, CA
    Thanks for the input, Hadron, I appreciate it.

In this case, believe it or not, their support actually helped. They had me reinstall the SIM and have the wifi on and they sent a "refresh" command (at least that's what they said). I had to then reboot it again, but it did come up and forced an update of the "service" as well as the PRL, and since then it has been working as usual. I'm tempted to reboot it again just to check, but I generally don't like poking the lion. :D

pokingsleepinglions.jpg

4. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

Aug 11, 2014
    Crazyville, CA
    Well, that was short-lived. Looks like I'm phone-shopping.

Recommendations for the "best" Android in the $125 range? I'm considering the Stylo2, at least if I want to stay with VM. I've generally liked the LG phones I've owned.