• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just switched from palm....a couple of newbie questions

rcyphermd

Android Expert
Oct 14, 2009
I just switched from palm and am learning the android os. I read the manual but cannot quite figure out a couple of things.

How do you look at more the one website at a time? In other words, can 2 or 3 different websites be open at the same time like the pre?

Does the back button turn the app off? I downloaded taskkill. I was trying to figure a way to turn the programs off without having to always check taskill.

Are there any particular apps you would recommend for a newbie to make the phone better/more efficient?

Thanks in advance for your help. I really am liking the Hero!

How do you look at more the one website at a time? In other words, can 2 or 3 different websites be open at the same time like the pre?

While in a webpage, press Menu > Windows and press the "+" in the upper left corner. Then press Menu and key in your url or select a bookmark.

To scroll between your open windows, press Menu > Windows and swipe your finger left or right on the screen.

To close a window, press Menu > Windows and press the "x" attached to the window you want to close. You cannot close the last window.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the instructions. That worked! Any comments on the back button turning off the apps, or do I just need to check taskkill often? Thanks again

Android is designed to close apps all on it's own. When you don't have an app in the foreground it's not really "open" but in a standby position.

-Some apps will let you close them by having a menu button item.
-Some apps will let you close them by pressing the back button until you are out of the app.
-Others will be closed by Android or by you when you use a task killing program.

TaskKill is okay, but I much prefer Task Panel X because it lets you set up a "Wanted List" of apps and set a time for it to auto-kill apps on that wanted list.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones