• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just tried connecting my Moment to PC. Not working.

Well, I finally got my cable out and plugged my phone into the USB of my laptop for the first time.
The phone started charging, and the computer tried to download driver software. After all the "look on-line for a driver", then "could not find driver software- look for a solution" tries, it finally told me connection had failed..
I searched on this forum, and I did find a section under a differently titled post where someone had suggested plugging into the USB, then power cycling the phone.
After doing this, I got all excited cause my computer told me that "device driver software has been successfully installed" when the phone was booting up, but I still don't have any USB icons in the "notifications" bar, or when I go to Menu- Notifications..
On my computer, when I go to "computer", it does show "Removable Disk(F):", but when I try to open that, it does not show anything. I've taken a lot of pics and video that I am 99% sure I am storing on my 8GB memory card...
1) anyone have any input on why my phone is not showing the USB icon?
(Yes, my SC card is (and has been) mounted).

2) any input on why none of my pics or video are showing up when I open the "removable disk" folder on my computer?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

Figured it out...

Under Settings/ Applications/ Development, I had USB debugging checked..
I unchecked that, and the USB icon immediately popped up in my notification bar. I just dragged down the notification bar, clicked on that message, and that got me going to connect my SD card to my PC.

I just downloaded 155 songs to my phone, and it used a little over 1GB of my 8GB card!

All of my music was under my apps tab/ Music.

Cool.

Can anyone think of any reason that I would ever want to have that USB Debugging setting checked?

Upvote 0
I unchecked that, and the USB icon immediately popped up in my notification bar. I just dragged down the notification bar, clicked on that message, and that got me going to connect my SD card to my PC.

I can verify that this works. I actually had successfully tethered the phone to the PC this morning - running Vista 64 bit and had transferred a couple of things, then later had wanted to connect it again, but ran into the same problem where the USB wouldn't come up in the notification panel, so after searching hi & low all over the Samsung site and even opening a support ticket to find out that they are closed on Sundays... I found this setting and unchecked the USB Debugging and viola! Notification and connection - I should have known to only come to Android Forums - I could have saved myself about 2 hours!

Upvote 0
I have tried both checking and un-checking the USB debug option and it still doesn't read it. No icon pops up, my computer doesn't recognize the drive either. It only makes the audible notification that it's charging when I plug it into the USB port. Any ideas why it still won't recognize it or what I can do to fix it?? Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I have tried both checking and un-checking the USB debug option and it still doesn't read it. No icon pops up, my computer doesn't recognize the drive either. It only makes the audible notification that it's charging when I plug it into the USB port. Any ideas why it still won't recognize it or what I can do to fix it?? Thanks for your help.

Pull down the notification bar, select USB Connected and then Mount. I know that option in the settings says it's mounted, but it lies.

Upvote 0
Pull down the notification bar, select USB Connected and then Mount. I know that option in the settings says it's mounted, but it lies.

That's the problem, there was nothing in the notification bar. I had to restart the phone and when it booted it automaticlly detected it on my computer. It doesn't find the drivers though but I can do like you said and access it from the pulldown menu. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: MustangsHood
Upvote 0
That's the problem, there was nothing in the notification bar. I had to restart the phone and when it booted it automaticlly detected it on my computer. It doesn't find the drivers though but I can do like you said and access it from the pulldown menu. Thanks for the help.

So the first time you plugged the phone in to your computer the drivers failed to load? Open the device manager and you should see an entry for Android with a yellow question mark. Delete it and the next time you plug in the phone it'll start the new hardware wizard. But if they didn't load the first time they probably won't load the second. Download and install Samsung PC Studio and try it again. That program is pretty much worthless for your phone but it comes with the USB drivers. Uninstall it after you get your phone accessible from your PC.

Upvote 0
Sigh...
I am having the same problem. My phone wont show up on my PC.
I checked the device manager and it doesnt show on the list. When I plug the phone in all it does is charge. I checked the USb debug and unchecked it. Nothing is appearing on the status bar. I have rebooted the phone. Nada... Ideas?

Upvote 0
Figured it out...

I just downloaded 155 songs to my phone, and it used a little over 1GB of my 8GB card!

All of my music was under my apps tab/ Music.

Cool.

Can anyone think of any reason that I would ever want to have that USB Debugging setting checked?

I am having the same issues with the icon not showing up in my taskbar. The only thing that I get when I plug my phone into my pc is it says that my phone is charging. I also checked to see if I had the debugging checked under settings and it was not. So any suggestions for me?

Upvote 0
"Originally Posted by agent0014
I also think that it needs to be checked for a mac to see it? don't quote me though, I've only hooked it up to my mac mini once so far.
Indeed it does. "

I just got a mac - going from pc - Tried the above and it still doesn't connect to my mac - any suggestions??? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything -

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
"Originally Posted by agent0014
I also think that it needs to be checked for a mac to see it? don't quote me though, I've only hooked it up to my mac mini once so far.
Indeed it does. "

I just got a mac - going from pc - Tried the above and it still doesn't connect to my mac - any suggestions??? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything -

Thanks!!!

1. Restart your Android phone. (This step may be skipped by some users; others will find the computer doesn

Reactions: willja and wolfe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones