• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just Updated my Rom to Xoom 3.2

After I posted this i got to thinking that I just used Acer recovery after all. I did so much reading on this before I did it I got myself all confused.
So Far the only thing I found a little off was when I'm in es file explorer pictures will not open.
But to be true I don't remember if they did on the stock ROM and its no big deal anyway.

Upvote 0
Good Speed improvement but I want from the 3.0 to the 3.2.
I never got the update and I glad I didn't.
I also heard about battery drain problems with this build so I going to check that out today. I also rooted my Droid Incredible and updated it up to 3.0 with the Kingdom Stock Sense-3.0 RLS2 and that is a major improvement.
Like a new phone ....SO FAR....

Upvote 0
Good Speed improvement but I want from the 3.0 to the 3.2.
I never got the update and I glad I didn't.
I also heard about battery drain problems with this build so I going to check that out today. I also rooted my Droid Incredible and updated it up to 3.0 with the Kingdom Stock Sense-3.0 RLS2 and that is a major improvement.
Like a new phone ....SO FAR....

Hi...

Two questions:

(1) When you have been able to gauge the battery performance, would you please post your experience here?

(2) Is it true that the Xoom ROM contains the Polaris Office suite?

Thanks

Upvote 0
How to Root your Iconia using Gingerbreak
Source: How To Root An Acer Iconia A500 thread on XDA

Requirements - Gingerbreak APK (link below), external MicroSD card

1) Enable USB debugging via Settings>Applications>Development>Enable USB Debugging
2) Have your MicroSD card inserted and make sure it is detectable by the tablet. Settings>Storage - you should see "external storage" with available space.
3) Place your tablet in Portrait view and enable rotation lock
4) download and install the Gingerbreak APK from the following link: Gingerbreak **Note: installation from unknown sources must be enabled.
5) Run Gingerbreak and click the "Root Device" option from the menu. **Note - you must be in portrait mode. Gingerbreak will Force Close if you are in landscape.
6) Gingerbreak will apply the exploit and install Superuser - then reboot.
7) Upon startup, you will have Superuser installed if successful. Download "Root Checker" from the Market to verify root access if you are not sure it was successful,
8) Voila! You should be rooted.
smile.gif

Installing Thor2002ro's ClockworkMod Recovery
Source: [Recovery] ClockworkMod Recovery thread on XDA

Requirements - root access, external SDCard, Acer Recovery Installer from Market (link below)

1) Download and install Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, available from the following link: Acer Recovery Installer
2) Run the application
3) Select "ClockworkMod recovery rev 1.2 by thor2002ro", which should be the third option.
4) Click on "Install Recovery Image"
5) Recovery will be installed and device will reboot. You can reboot into recovery by powering off the device, holding the VolDown + Power Button (VolDown is the volume button closest to the power button) and you should see ClockworkMod upon starting up. From here you can flash Nandroid backup and restore Custom ROMs and the like.
6) Voila! You now have custom recovery.

Thanks Femetsu from another forum for this guide.
I will put up a video tutorial later also.

Upvote 0
If you're on HC 3.1 (if you updated the Iconia when it detected software updates), Gingerbreak won't work. There's an app called iconiaroot (found here) that works flawlessly for both 3.01 and 3.1. Plus you don't have to do anything other than push "root" at the bottom and "accept" when the Super User prompt appears. No flipping of the device, etc.

As for battery performance, I'd recommend recalibrating the battery after loading a HC 3.2 ROM. I just installed this Xoom ROM last night, so I haven't done my calibration, yet.

Instructions to recalibrate a battery (for rooted users):

1) Charge to 100%
2) Reboot into Clockwork or download Battery Calibration
.....a) If you use Battery Calibration, it's pretty self explanatory.
.....b) If you use Clockwork, go to Advance > Wipe Battery stats then reboot back into Android

3) Now leave the device disconnected from the charger until Android shuts itself down. This does not hurt your battery. The battery will shut down the device before it discharges too far.
4) Connect your charger to the device and leave it off until it's fully charged.
5) Turn on the device and use like normal. Your battery is calibrated.

Reactions: kristalsoldier
Upvote 0
If you're on HC 3.1 (if you updated the Iconia when it detected software updates), Gingerbreak won't work. There's an app called iconiaroot (found here) that works flawlessly for both 3.01 and 3.1. Plus you don't have to do anything other than push "root" at the bottom and "accept" when the Super User prompt appears. No flipping of the device, etc.

As for battery performance, I'd recommend recalibrating the battery after loading a HC 3.2 ROM. I just installed this Xoom ROM last night, so I haven't done my calibrationu, yet.

Instructions to recalibrate a battery (for rooted users):

1) Charge to 100%
2) Reboot into Clockwork or download Battery Calibration
.....a) If you use Battery Calibration, it's pretty self explanatory.
.....b) If you use Clockwork, go to Advance > Wipe Battery stats then reboot back into Android

3) Now leave the device disconnected from the charger until Android shuts itself down. This does not hurt your battery. The battery will shut down the device before it discharges too far.
4) Connect your charger to the device and leave it off until it's fully charged.
5) Turn on the device and use like normal. Your battery is calibrated.

Thanks. I actually need to get a microSD card. No point in rooting if I can't install a custom rom. Good info on the battery reset. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I actually need to get a microSD card. No point in rooting if I can't install a custom rom. Good info on the battery reset. Thanks.

There is a point. You get adfree, titanium backup (or mybackup root which is free), root explorer (or es file viewer which is also free). As well as a number of other apps. Also, you can change the boot animation.

But yes, a new rom makes things even better. I love zipaligned roms that can be themed.

Upvote 0
Well I was able to test this tablet out on my flight to Kauai about 8 hours total.
And the battery held up very well.full charge at 430 am watched two full movies and played a bunch of angry birds used the internet. Pretty much non stop use except for take off and landing and when
I got to my condo I had 30% battery left not bad at all.

Reactions: kristalsoldier
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones