• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just updated to 4.4.2 and it's wiped about 70% of my apps

james_uk

Android Enthusiast
May 27, 2010
Hi I have just updated my phone to 4.4.2 and after the update, some apps were still there but about 70% were not, what would have happened in regards to this, any update I have usually fine had always kept the apps, but seems odd just just keep a couple?
James

I really don't understand why people update. The web is full of reports that kit kat makes SD cards pretty much unusable. All my music, videos and apps where possible are on the SD card.. why the hell would I update a perfectly functioning phone..!? No thanks :-D Im happy how it is. I can play my music ANYWHERE without cloud access... 20 gb of music and videos... where would I store these If I let my phone update?

Upvote 0
I really don't understand why people update. The web is full of reports that kit kat makes SD cards pretty much unusable. All my music, videos and apps where possible are on the SD card.. why the hell would I update a perfectly functioning phone..!? No thanks :-D Im happy how it is. I can play my music ANYWHERE without cloud access... 20 gb of music and videos... where would I store these If I let my phone update?
Without rooting, I don't think you can permanently avoid it. At least one member had the update happen without thier consent.:mad:

Upvote 0
Without rooting, I don't think you can permanently avoid it. At least one member had the update happen without thier consent.:mad:

Really? My SGS4 (and Note 3 now) drove me mad prompting me (which can be turned off) and even if I downloaded it, it asked again if I wanted to install the update. You can delay the prompt for 15mins, an hour, or 3 hours once downloaded and do that ad infinitum.

The only update I took without my consent was when my wife was looking at my SGS4 pre Knox and "helpfully" installed the update when prompted. Divorce proceedings were not talked about, but temporarily thought of.

Upvote 0
Really? My SGS4 (and Note 3 now) drove me mad prompting me (which can be turned off) and even if I downloaded it, it asked again if I wanted to install the update. You can delay the prompt for 15mins, an hour, or 3 hours once downloaded and do that ad infinitum.

The only update I took without my consent was when my wife was looking at my SGS4 pre Knox and "helpfully" installed the update when prompted. Divorce proceedings were not talked about, but temporarily thought of.

My phone was originally with an unlocked bootloader pre knox, i got caught out the first day i had my phone with updates coming through.
Wasn't till after i had installed 4.3 that i found out about knox & the locked bootloader. Still turned off the auto updates now, not going to get a crippled phone for up to 6 months before the new version of knox comes along & looks like it may address the sd card problem.

Upvote 0
The web is full of reports that kit kat makes SD cards pretty much unusable.

Not sure why everyone is having these issues. :( We have 2 Google Edition S4's. One's rooted and one isn't. The one that isn't rooted (running pure Android, no carrier apps or OS edits) is running 4.4.2 and not having any issues at all with the external SD or accessing anything on it. Odd that some are having this issue and others aren't.

Upvote 0
Not sure why everyone is having these issues. :( We have 2 Google Edition S4's. One's rooted and one isn't. The one that isn't rooted (running pure Android, no carrier apps or OS edits) is running 4.4.2 and not having any issues at all with the external SD or accessing anything on it. Odd that some are having this issue and others aren't.

Indeed, My external SD card works as it always has my internal one will allow files and folders to be copied and moved from it to the external, but nowhere else like a USB flash drive. So to get a photo in phones internal memory I have to move it to my external SD card then to the USB flash drive (via an official Samsung USB to micro USB adaptor.). So far on my Note 3 that's the only difference with memory I've found with 4.4.2. All the apps that I have access their own folders only on my external SD card (Sygic navigation is the biggest) and I have no problems there. A useful link posted by Ironass in the general SGS4 forum explains it all :

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/835124-kitkat-sd-cards-explained.html

Upvote 0

That is because on the Google Edition firmware, AFAIK, there is no option to move apps to SD in the firmware. See, here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones